Susan's Closet
LongLocks Collectors Club
Index of Hair Care Articles
Testimonials
Free Newsletter

L'Etoile Perdue by William Bouguereau

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 34
Send Topic Print
The Diary of Anais (Satin) (Read 233209 times)
Anais Satin
Stardust

Tailbone in March 2006,
classic in March 2007

Bill Gates' backyard, WA
Thanks BB
Reply #180 - Sep 7th, 2005 at 10:07pm

Length and trims Thanks so much BikerBraid Smiley I think it's just a hair slump that I'm going through. Lately I've been unhappy with the tapering of my ends (And without a hair therapist, this is frustrating. insert exaggerated sigh Grin ) When I go home tonight, I'm taking off at least 1/4 inch. That will make things a little more even down there, thicken up the ends, and take out some worn-out hair that I should have cut off a long time ago. Come to think of it, I've trimmed maybe three times in the past two years. One trim was at my grandmother's house while still at mid-back length, the second time was in December 2004, and the very last time was at home (recently, during the warm season of this year).  Otherwise there were still a few S&D's but few and far between, some random Eureeka moments where I ran to find scissors for a found split, and not much else. So a trim is in order. Forward march!

Hair. It's been in a damp braid all day, and I don't get the "bump" when damp braiding. I think it's because when crossing one braid strand over another, the hair will not tighten as much while damp (the slickness of dry hair will allow the crossover loop to loosen a bit) I don't know if that makes sense. So with damp hair, there's a little more friction and all the crossovers will stay nice and tight.

Hair is the least of my concerns right now though. I AM enjoying my hair for what it is, there's no doubt about that. But there's so much IRL to be done and so little time. I limit my hair time to about 1 hour per day and that includes board time... By limiting my activities to 1 hour, 2 hours, whatever, it's really helped with productivity and concentration. I can tell myself, "I've got this hair/cleaning/[subject] stuff out of the way, now I can apply my full self to other needful things"

Now...... .... ...... who moved my cheese?! Grin

IP Logged

bikerbraid
Shooting Star

Life is short, Break the
rules

Bike Paths of the Midwest
Re: Thanks BB
Reply #181 - Sep 7th, 2005 at 10:57pm

Quote:
Now...... .... ...... who moved my cheese?! Grin

nibble nibble nibble  Roll Eyes  uhmmmmm, over here??  Lips Sealed

bikerbraid
Global Salon Moderator
LongLocks HairSticks Boutique
http://www.longlocks.com
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.&&Life may not
WWW Bikerbraid  
IP Logged

Sakina
Stardust

August 2O1O @ the Louvre

Arizona
Re: The Diary of Anais (Satin)
Reply #182 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 4:07am

Now...... .... ...... who moved my cheese?!

I love that book!  I read it over again at least once a year.

Sakina
Salon Board Moderator
LongLocks HairSticks Boutique
http://www.longlocks.com
Healthy hair is beautiful no matter what length it is.
IP Logged

Moonchild
Diamond

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Germany
Reply #183 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 6:36pm

Oh no - who moved my cheese -   Shocked our new boss talked about nothing else but this book and how it relates to his principals of leadership in our work environment......... 8)

&&...&&&&

IP Logged

Anais Satin
Stardust

Tailbone in March 2006,
classic in March 2007

Bill Gates' backyard, WA
Reply #184 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 7:54pm

Oh no! Nothing like lost cheese, or an overly enthusiastic boss. Wink

I did a survey on June 1 about hair. Now I'm going to do it again.

June 1

Goal hair length: Golden Ratio, or about mid thigh, or about 44(?).
When did you start growing your hair? A couple summers ago
What is your average monthly growth rate? 0.75"
Do you trim your hair, if so how often? very seldom (about every 6 months) and it's a microtrim
What supplements do you take? N/A
Do you eat any special foods for hair growth/nutrition etc? No
Do you do scalp massages? No
What is your favourite shampoo? N/A
What is your favourite conditioner? Suave BioBasics
Favourite leave-in conditioner? stuff I make myself: shea butter, jojoba, Lemon EO, BPAL Eggnog. (Jehovah's Sheajoba).
Favourite deep conditioner or treatment? N/A
What are your favourite basic oils? shea butter
What are your favourite essential oils? BPAL, hehee
What is your favourite product of all time? shea butter!!!!
What is your least favourite product of all time? straight jojoba oil
Is there anything you would never put on your hair? (-cones/quats etc) sea salt, ETA after Snowy's fiasco.
What do you like most about your hair? its color!
What do you like least about your hair? its color!
Do you colour your hair? Strangely, no, but I threaten to.
Do you clarify? Yes, ACV every other wash
How often do you wash your hair? every 9 days
How long does it take to dry? 6+ hours
Do you prefer you hair up or down? down
What is your favourite updo? figure 8 bun or single braid
Bangs or no bangs? no bangs
Whose hair do you aspire to? Elle, Hairstorm, KBF minus the color, not that I don't love the color anyway
Do you keep a hair journal? Yes 
How many hairtoys do you own? 3 pairs of Mamacat sticks, 1 Mamacat curtain rod, and velvet scrunchies. I donated or sold the rest.
What is your favourite hairtoy? Anything Mamacat, I am a Mamacat Cult Member to the very death and can't wait until she takes commissions again.
Brush or comb? Comb (Magic 5: Ric Vest Pocket, Ric LH comb, MP Rake, Rachael Stephens #42, LML horn comb)
Do you use hot styling aids on your hair irons/blowdryer etc? None
Do you make/sell any hair care products? Earthsticks
What is the last hair-related thing that you bought? I seriously can't remember. Probably conditioner.
Share a funny/inspiring/shocking hair story if you have one: I started growing my hair out because of a bet. So far I'm winning this bet.

September 8

Goal hair length: Short term: Tailbone, Long Term: Golden Ratio, or about mid thigh
When did you start growing your hair? A couple summers ago, maybe, I'm not even sure anymore.
What is your average monthly growth rate? maybe about 1/2"
Do you trim your hair, if so how often? very seldom (about every 6 months) and it's a microtrim
What supplements do you take? N/A
Do you eat any special foods for hair growth/nutrition etc? Come to think of it, yes. I eat my homecooked meals from scratch, that include lots of rice and fish.
Do you do scalp massages? No
What is your favourite shampoo? N/A
What is your favourite conditioner? Suave BioBasics
Favourite leave-in conditioner? stuff I make myself: 3 kinds of shea butters, mango butter, jojoba, Lemon EO, BPAL Eggnog. (in total, "Jehovah's Sheajoba").
Favourite deep conditioner or treatment? N/A
What are your favourite basic oils? shea butter
What are your favourite essential oils? BPAL, hehee
What is your favourite product of all time? shea butter!
What is your least favourite product of all time? straight jojoba oil, except for skin.
Is there anything you would never put on your hair? (-cones/quats etc) sea salt, ETA after Snowy's fiasco, and lanolin which feels like pine tar.
What do you like most about your hair? its color
What do you like least about your hair? its color
Do you colour your hair? I tried henna on my bangs, loved it.
Do you clarify? Yes, ACV every other wash
How often do you wash your hair? about every week or so nowadays because I only have time for it on weekends, rarely a weekday
How long does it take to dry? 6+ hours if I let it be, less than 4 hours if I use a microfiber towel
Do you prefer you hair up or down? down
What is your favourite updo? cinnabun or single braid
Bangs or no bangs? really really long bangs
Whose hair do you aspire to? NicoleZoie, Kleis, Elle, Hairstorm
Do you keep a hair journal? Yes
How many hairtoys do you own? 3 pairs of Mamacat sticks, 1 Mamacat curtain rod, and velvet scrunchies. I've donated/sold the rest, except for the Argus stick which I use for a stir rod. 
What is your favourite hairtoy? Anything Mamacat
Brush or comb? Comb (Magic 5: Ric Vest Pocket, Ric LH comb, HeavenlyHarvest horn comb, Rachael Stephens #42, LML horn comb)
Do you use hot styling aids on your hair irons/blowdryer etc? None
Do you make/sell any hair care products? Earthsticks
What is the last hair-related thing that you bought? I haven't officially bought them because they haven't arrived yet, not paid for yet: more hair sticks.
Share a funny/inspiring/shocking hair story if you have one: I started growing my hair out because of a bet. So far I'm winning this bet... but my bettee (bettor?) hasn't actually mentioned it for the past couple years. Wink

IP Logged

Anais Satin
Stardust

Tailbone in March 2006,
classic in March 2007

Bill Gates' backyard, WA
Trim results
Reply #185 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 8:05pm

Yesterday I trimmed "too much". No, it wasn't really too much, it just didn't feel good to trim more than a dusting. It was my first non-dust trim since I started growing my hair. I haven't had this much taken off since summer of 2003. I trimmed about 1 centimeter off the ends, using Feye's method. In the end I took off a lot more than 1 centimeter off the ends because the 1cm applies to MOST of the hairs. I snipped more than 1cm off all the extremist hairs. June feels a lot shorter to me than she should. The ends feel better, tangle a little less, but it feels like a lot more than 1 cm. I also need to do a dust trim soon because a real trim forced me to cut a lot of hairs at a time, which compromises the snipping motion. The best thing to do is snip quickly and few hairs at a time. That way you don't "crush" the ends off, but to actually CUT them off cleanly.

All in all, though, I will keep in mind that:
(1) This trim was completely necessary because of the worn out ends, and it's all for the best
(2) I didn't take off THAT much, and
(3) My ends look fuller

Hair. did a regular CCC wash last night using the usual suspects. Then I coiled it up into socks and went to bed. Then this morning I rolled it up into a bun and that completely messed up the curl pattern. Instead of having sock curls, I have hair that flips one way or another, and straight ends. So tonight I'm going to try again and keep note of exactly what (Exactlywatt?) makes sock curls perfect.
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2005 at 9:08pm by Anais Satin »  
IP Logged

khrome
Stardust

1bM/Ciii

santa barbara, ca
Reply #186 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 11:19pm

What was Snowy's fiasco?  I must have joined too late to hear about that one.  How do you like and dislike your hair color?  Smiley

I tried sock curls a couple weeks ago.  For the life of me, I couldn't get them to stay.  I'm still going to try again sometime.

Cynde

IP Logged

Anais Satin
Stardust

Tailbone in March 2006,
classic in March 2007

Bill Gates' backyard, WA
Thank you
Reply #187 - Sep 10th, 2005 at 6:33am

Thank you Cynde Smiley Really I have a love-hate relationship with my color. Smiley Sometimes I love how the sun shines through it, but other times it seems so monochrome and dull. Texture experiments really help with those phases.
Snowy had a horrible experience with sea salt which I don't know the details of.. but I just know I won't risk trying it (nor lanolin). Yikes! Shocked And sock curling does take a bit of practice. I hope it ends up working for you. Sometimes layers make it tricky.

Anais
-------

More recommended reading
... ...... ...
High Risk by Ken Majid, Emotional Vampires by Albert Bernstein Ph.D
Waiting For Godot by Samuel Beckett, The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera

Hair. Corrected the uneven wave issue. I've also been more accepting of the recent big trim. My hair isn't sufficiently oiled so it hasn't been sectioning into defined braid waves lately, but that will soon change. Lately I've been doing a single braid and haven't had time to test out the bun cover yet.

Planting more sunflowers. Because..one of my three sunflowers (on the same stalk) got picked! The culprit even left all the petals on our patio. It's an open patio, with no railing or wall so anyone can step onto it as they please. It looked like my sunflower was the victim of a "he loves me, he loves me not" kind of thing. Otherwise I would have suspected a hate crime!!! Of course I love my flowers and in the style of Napoleon Dynamite, "Whaddya THINK?!"

IP Logged

juri
Stardust

USA
Reply #188 - Sep 10th, 2005 at 7:21am

I can't believe someone plucked all the petals off of one of the flowers. Some people.  Angry Sheesh.

On a lighter note, that's a nice bun cover you're making.  Smiley

1b MC ii/iii&&14.5/42/39 14.5/33.5&&"Bring me my pendulum, kiddies, I feel like swinging!" Vincent Price  &&

IP Logged

Anais Satin
Stardust

Tailbone in March 2006,
classic in March 2007

Bill Gates' backyard, WA
more of the usual crossposting
Reply #189 - Sep 12th, 2005 at 1:12am

Thanks Juri Smiley Saaay, you're fast-approaching your goal of waist length! Cheesy

Prayers, blessings, and memories to all who were touched by the events of September 11th 2001, and to everyone who was not.

Went to the public library again and checked out oodles of books from my list in a killing spree. It was kind of like going through a shopping list. I haven't devoured fiction so greedily for years, because I've read strictly nonfiction for as long as I can remember. Here is a list of my current reading, asterisks by those I highly and severely recommend:
  • A Farewell to Arms (Hemingway)
  • short stories by Virginia Woolf
  • The Well of Lost Plots (Jasper Fforde)*
  • The Eyre Affair (Jasper Fforde)*
  • Spilling Clarence (Anne Ursu) *
  • The Boy on the Bus : a novel (Deborah Schupack) (haven't started yet but it's supposed to be really really good)*
  • The Soul of Capitalism : opening paths to a moral economy (William Greider)
  • The Secret Life of Dust
  • The Joy of Pi
  • The Book Lover's Cookbook : recipes inspired by celebrated works of literature and the passages that feature them *

Hair. Last hair wash was on the evening of September 7th, which makes today fifth-day hair. I've been ignoring my hair for the most part, although wearing it loose more often, especially on a computer with a fast-approaching deadline, when talking to strange men, when in line at the post office, or when going down to sit by the lake. Otherwise my usual do's have not changed much. The usual cinnabun with Mamacat sticks (I've recently become accustomed to using only one stick, even though it's been possible to do for the past few months. One stick gives me a sense of security. With two sticks, one could lose a single stick and not be able to tell that it was missing. With a single stick, one would definitely be able to tell)

In other hair news. Swapping some BPAL for Giovanni Direct Leave-in, which according to reviews is a really good leave-in conditioner. It's also one of those "a little goes a long way" types. I've never really believed in leave-ins because of two terrible past leave-in experiences. However this one looks very promising (if anything because it's a lot of natural extracts). The only downside is the expense, I've seen the 8.5 oz bottle to be upwards of 6.00 a pop. And to me, that is a lot to spend on a product that runs out. As opposed to things like hair sticks (which last decades with proper care), corsets (which last up to a decade with proper care, and given I don't gain or lose weight) and combs which last until further notice. And BPAL, which lasts more than a year. I have been proudly BPAL free since May. Very proud, touting that thought around as if I'd quit smoking or something. Unfortunately, by the word "BPAL-free", it actually means "BPAL expense free", or, that I've quit buying more but not necessarily decreasing my stash by any amount. Sheesh.

IP Logged

Moonchild
    Diamond

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Germany
    Reply #190 - Sep 12th, 2005 at 7:13am

When are you reading all these books, girl???

I need to make you my personal time-manager and I think you need to post book reviews 8)

&&...&&&&

IP Logged

juri
    Stardust

USA
    Reply #191 - Sep 12th, 2005 at 8:23am

You're welcome, Anais.  Smiley Yep, I'm only a couple of inches away from waist (yay!), and after that I need to get a new ticker for when I reach tailbone. I noticed that the ticker on your site says that it's not too long before you hit your short-term hair goal, too.   Cheesy

"The Eyre Affair" sounds extremely familiar. I wonder if I read it before. Unless I'm thinking of another book, is that the one where Jane gets kidnapped by a literary extremist or a similar group?

1b MC ii/iii&&14.5/42/39 14.5/33.5&&"Bring me my pendulum, kiddies, I feel like swinging!" Vincent Price  &&

IP Logged

Anais Satin
    Stardust

Tailbone in March 2006,
    classic in March 2007

Bill Gates' backyard, WA
    Hmmm
    Reply #192 - Sep 13th, 2005 at 4:34am

Juri, I think that's the one. The one where Thursday bookjumps into Jane Eyre and.. I think it also involves some sort of alternate ending to Jane Eyre.

Moonchild, expect book reviews in a few weeks, heehee Grin

Mamacat sticks arrived! But it's nighttime, so I have to wait until sunrise to take natural-light pics. Mamacat's ready-to-ship shots were better.

IP Logged

khrome
    Stardust

1bM/Ciii

santa barbara, ca
    Reply #193 - Sep 13th, 2005 at 7:27am

Nice Mamacat sticks!!  Cheesy

Cynde

IP Logged

NaturalRogue
    Emerald

Dancing at night playing
    the music of human soul

Dallas, TX
    Reply #194 - Sep 13th, 2005 at 11:35am

ohhh, most enviousezss of the preciousssezs  Grin

Ever wonder how much deeper would the ocean be without sponges.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 34
    Send Topic Print