Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
locks of love (Read 6367 times)
wishing4longhair
Emerald

it just keeps growing

locks of love
Jul 6th, 2005 at 6:37pm

On a different board, someone said something about warning their friend about donating their hair to "Locks of Love". This was information they learned from this site somewhere. I haven't hear anything against LOL. Do you guys know something I don't? Let me know.
Meg

3bNii Goal length: to my waist

IP Logged

gabi
Ex Member

Re: locks of love
Reply #1 - Jul 6th, 2005 at 10:21pm

Huge subject.  Basically you can google their Better Business Bureau report and you will find out that most of the donated hair does not go to "needy" people, it is sold.

If someone wants a free haircut and doesn't care where it goes why not.  Also, most hair is not of good enough quality to even make wigs or hair pieces out of...g

IP Logged

gabi
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 7th, 2005 at 5:57am

Hi Meg!

I moved this one for the same reason as the "Dry Shampoo" one.   So others can contribute...g

IP Logged

juri
Stardust

USA
Reply #3 - Jul 7th, 2005 at 8:27am

I can't recall where it was on this site, but on the FAQ section of http://www.tlhs.org there's a part that explains why LOL is frowned upon by some people.

1b MC ii/iii&&14.5/42/39 14.5/33.5&&"Bring me my pendulum, kiddies, I feel like swinging!" Vincent Price  &&

IP Logged

eKatherine
Emerald

Maine
Reply #4 - Jul 7th, 2005 at 12:01pm

Quote:
If someone wants a free haircut and doesn't care where it goes why not.  Also, most hair is not of good enough quality to even make wigs or hair pieces out of...g

From what I've seen, you generally don't get a free "haircut", unless you consider just getting your ponytail hacked off to be a legitimate style.

IP Logged

wishing4longhair
Emerald

it just keeps growing

Reply #5 - Jul 7th, 2005 at 2:17pm

All right. So, pretty much LOL is out. Ok. does anyone else know of a place that takes donated hair and makes wigs for those who need them, or is it a lost cause?
I suppose not cutting my hair is an option.  Wink I know that would make by boyfriend very happy.
But I think my hair is so beautiful and want to share it with someone who needs it. So, if anyone knows of another place, let me know.
Meg

IP Logged

khrome
Stardust

1bM/Ciii

santa barbara, ca
Reply #6 - Jul 7th, 2005 at 5:31pm

I did a quick search and found Wigs for Kids listed along with Locks of Love as organizations that do wigs for cancer patients.  I don't know anything about this company so I can't tell you if they are legit or not.

My co-worker's daughter had undergone a couple of chemotherapy treatments.  I'll find out if they got her wig from anywhere in particular.

Cynde

EDIT - I asked my co-worker, and she said her daughter never wanted to wear a wig after she lost her hair.  Whatta trooper!!  But anyway, she doesn't know of any organizations except those two.
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2005 at 12:24am by khrome »  
IP Logged

gabi
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jul 7th, 2005 at 8:59pm

Quote:
From what I've seen, you generally don't get a free "haircut", unless you consider just getting your ponytail hacked off to be a legitimate style.

An excellent point  Grin ...g

IP Logged

Galadriel
Stardust

Reply #8 - Jul 9th, 2005 at 6:25am

I've heard that doctors recommend wigs made from synthetic material to kids who have lost their hair for some medical reason. The reason was, that synthetic wigs are easier to take care of than human hair wigs.

LoL doesn't operate here, but during my longhairboard stay I've heard so much negative information about them...I wouldn't donate my hair to any organization.
But, it's your hair and your decision. Smiley

1bFii/waist length&&&&The flowers of wonder&&And the hidden treasures&&In the meadow of life&&My acre of heaven&&&&T. Holopainen/Nightwish

IP Logged

Valerie
Diamond

Colorado
Reply #9 - Jul 9th, 2005 at 9:15pm

My mother wanted to do the same thing.  After I told her about the ease of care of synthetic wigs I think she decided she would just donate money.

2aMii
irisblue23  
IP Logged

Cairn
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jul 9th, 2005 at 10:17pm

As someone whose family has been touched by cancer, I can say - and I think I speak for everyone who's fought a terminal illness or lost a loved one - I would much rather see money donated to the American Cancer Society or another trusted organization where it can be used for research rather than see hair (or money) given to any wig-making organization, no matter how reputable. If someone I love is fighting for their life, I couldn't care less what they have on their head; I just want to see them healthy.
When my mother went through chemo she did have a synthetic wig, but I liked the funky hats she made herself much better. Giving a child a wig isn't going to find a cure and frankly, I don't think it'd help a child's self-esteem either; they'd be better learning to love themselves and be loved for who they are, and that faith in yourself is so important when fighting a terminal illness.

Anyway, that's just my two cents on the subject.

IP Logged

PreciousLocks
Diamond

Turning my gold to silver
one hair at a time

Reply #11 - Jul 9th, 2005 at 11:43pm

Well said, Cairn.

I haven't any real experience with wigs - synthetic or real.  I have had alot of experience with children, and I can tell you that if a child needs a wig (and wants one) and a synthetic one is easier that's what is appropriate.

30.75" ~78cm/waist&&1bFii&&&&"No chance at all if you think you can pull it off by yourself.  Every chance in the world if you let God do it."  The Message Mark 10:27

IP Logged

gabi
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jul 10th, 2005 at 1:42am

Quote:
As someone whose family has been touched by cancer, I can say - and I think I speak for everyone who's fought a terminal illness or lost a loved one - I would much rather see money donated to the American Cancer Society or another trusted organization where it can be used for research rather than see hair (or money) given to any wig-making organization, no matter how reputable. If someone I love is fighting for their life, I couldn't care less what they have on their head; I just want to see them healthy.
When my mother went through chemo she did have a synthetic wig, but I liked the funky hats she made herself much better. Giving a child a wig isn't going to find a cure and frankly, I don't think it'd help a child's self-esteem either; they'd be better learning to love themselves and be loved for who they are, and that faith in yourself is so important when fighting a terminal illness.

Anyway, that's just my two cents on the subject.

Another Kudos and Ditto ... beautifully and accurately and sensitively said ... hugs, gabi

IP Logged

Autumn
Emerald

I love Long Hair!

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #13 - Jul 10th, 2005 at 9:01pm

My mother went thru chemo too and lost her hair, she had a couple of synthetic wigs that she wore. The synthetic is best because it keeps it curl/wave/style if you are going thru chemo the last thing you want to do is be fooling around trying to style a human hair wig.  Undecided

IP Logged

wishing4longhair
Emerald

it just keeps growing

Reply #14 - Jul 11th, 2005 at 3:06pm

Quote:
But, it's your hair and your decision. Smiley

Yep, you're right. It's my decision and my decision is.....Drum roll.....I am going to keep my hair.  Grin Yeah, I think I've been brainwashed by this site  Wink (besides, my boyfriend likes it long) I want to grow it for another year (until I graduate university) and then I can have long hair for when I get married. Yay for long hair.
Meg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print