Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jojoba oil (Read 3055 times)
SittyKitty
Ruby

Kentucky, USA
Jojoba oil
Aug 15th, 2005 at 11:58am

I have been looking at different types, but I'm not sure which is the best. I have seen Golden, Pure, Refined and if I'm not mistaken a couple other kinds. So by question is which is best? Does it matter? Or does it depend on your hair?

My hair is thin, kneen length, dry, and fine. If that helps. Could really use some info. on the different types.

IP Logged

SittyKitty
Ruby

Kentucky, USA
Re: Jojoba oil
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2005 at 4:46pm

I found what I was looking for...

A Note about the different qualities of oil
All of the oils we stock have different and varying degrees of quality. And all of them have been processed by distinct and various methods. The information below will help you better understand not only our line of oils, but also the entire industry of oils and their methods of extraction.

Cold Pressed - A method of mechanical extraction where heat is reduced and minimized throughout the batching of the raw material. This helps the oil maintain its original state, constituents, and depth. Temperatures are rigorously controlled to ensure that it does not exceed 80-90 degrees Fahrenheit. Although not a practical method of extraction for all vegetable oils on the market it is highly regarded as the extraction method of choice.

Expeller Pressed - A method of natural, mechanical extraction and processing of oils where a small amount of heat is produced simply through the frictional heat created by hydraulic presses. This is usually around 120-200 degrees Fahrenheit and makes the oil suitable and economical as a base for cosmetics because of its fairly undisturbed molecular state. It also makes a fine food grade oil.

Refined - A fully processed oil where it has been exposed to high temperatures as high as 450 degrees Fahrenheit, winterization as low as -10 degrees, deodorization (the removal of content which gives an oil its natural scent), and other forms of refinement that will alter its color, depth, and scent. This makes for an economical oil in cosmetics and body care products but it is not the healthiest as a food grade oil.

Caveat emptor: Refined oils may also be extracted with the use of solvents, extracting mediums or other chemicals.

Unrefined - A process of mechanical extraction and screen filtering where no additional refining process has taken place. This ensures the finest quality product and makes the oil the most exquisite for food and cosmetic preparation. The unrefined process helps oil retain a rich, strong flavor and color that is true to its natural state. Unrefined oils are always darker in color and richer in scent.

Solvent Extracted - Unfortunately many of the oils offered on the market today, including commercial store varieties are extracted with the use of solvents. This method of extraction often involves high yields at a low cost, but the chemicals used as the extracting agent have severe environmental impacts and endanger the health and vitality of the final product.

.........just in case anyone else wanted to know!

IP Logged

bikerbraid
Shooting Star

Life is short, Break the
rules

Bike Paths of the Midwest
Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2005 at 5:34pm

Thanks for posting all that information.  We now know more than ever!

bikerbraid
Global Salon Moderator
LongLocks HairSticks Boutique
http://www.longlocks.com
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.&&Life may not
WWW Bikerbraid  
IP Logged

khrome
Stardust

1bM/Ciii

santa barbara, ca
Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 12:40am

Great info!  Thanks for posting it.

Cynde

IP Logged

greek_lady
Diamond

Carpe Diem Noctemque

Greece
Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 3:10pm

Great info. Thank you for posting all this SittyKitty

Oh, and to answer your original question, I use jojoba oil bought from a natural-cosmetics line specifically made for facial use. I figure if it's good enough for the face it's more than good enough for my hair!

---<--@&&&&...&&&&
WWW greek_lady  
IP Logged

AtlantisAllure
Sapphire

Hot and humid...For now.
Reply #5 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 7:29pm

Hmm...I dont really know what mine is. I got it from Mystifyyoursenses.com. I think I got that address from Anais, I am not sure though. Now I am curious to find out! But it works wells, I appy it to my hair wet and my hair stays soft and shiny without looking oily all day.

&&...&&&&

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print