L'Etoile Perdue by William Bouguereau

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
mistreated hair (Read 3855 times)
Sara
Sapphire

mistreated hair
Oct 11th, 2005 at 11:22pm

I remember when I wasyounger (toddler) even into my teens, my mom would *brush* my hair to gte me out of the house faster. However she seemed to think that brushing meant ripping throught tangles with the brush and as a result the ends are damaged. I also see taht alot of people think brushes are for teh purpose of detangling. Anyway, I'm still annoyed becuase of this, and wnated to knwo if any of you went throught the same thing when you were younger?

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]&&...&&[/url]&&

IP Logged

Sakina
Stardust

August 2O1O @ the Louvre

Arizona
Re: mistreated hair
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 11:31pm

Hi, Sara.  I moved your topic over here-I thought people with out kids might want to contribute, too.
I didn't have that problem with my mom, but my sister sweated in her sleep which would cause her to have terrible tangles in the morning.  I think my mom was really gentle in working those tangles out, but my sister didn't want to sit still so I'm sure it pulled her hair.
I think brushing is mainly to get dust/fuzzies out of your hair, not for detangling!

Sakina
Salon Board Moderator
LongLocks HairSticks Boutique
http://www.longlocks.com
Healthy hair is beautiful no matter what length it is.
IP Logged

bikerbraid
Shooting Star

Life is short, Break the
rules

Bike Paths of the Midwest
Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 12:57am

I know lots of people who think that brushes are for detangling.  If you are thinking of a widely spaced wire bristle type brush, yes, it can detangle.  However, if you are thinking of a thick bristle type brush - these are best used for "polishing" or distributing oils through hair that has already been detangled.

As a child, I had very short, pixie cuts due to my peach-fuzz hair.  I'm not sure my hair had a comb or brush through it until I was 8 or 9!  I know I didn't own my own brush until I went away to college.  I have only used widely spaced bristle brushes on my hair (for many years I used dog brushes!).  Today I seldom use a brush on my fine hair - a wide tooth comb is my primary tool, with a finer tooth comb for finishing.

bikerbraid
Global Salon Moderator
LongLocks HairSticks Boutique
http://www.longlocks.com
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.&&Life may not
WWW Bikerbraid  
IP Logged

Sara
Sapphire

Reply #3 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 1:27am

Hey guys!
Well, of course I use my wide tooth comb now, and I seldom need a boar bristle unlesi truly am having a bad hair day and wnat to smooth out teh hair after detangling so I can have it neatly put into a bun or braid.
Oh what sent my hair on end was when I heard that one fo my friends uses a brush to detangle wet hair as wellas dry. *shudders*

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]&&...&&[/url]&&

IP Logged

juri
Stardust

USA
Reply #4 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 1:34am

Heehee, before I came to LL I used to use a brush to detangle! But I was usually careful not to rip through tangles. I have coarse hair so that didn't seem to damage it too much. I think the thing that damaged my hair the most was using non-hair friendly hairbands. These days I usually only use a brush when I'm trying to make a ponytail and need to smooth out my hair.

1b MC ii/iii&&14.5/42/39 14.5/33.5&&"Bring me my pendulum, kiddies, I feel like swinging!" Vincent Price  &&

IP Logged

khrome
Stardust

1bM/Ciii

santa barbara, ca
Reply #5 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 2:34am

My mom used a comb to detangle, from the bottom-up.  The comb wasn't wide-tooth, but it worked fine since my hair is straight.  For my nieces, she would use a wide-tooth comb - they have waves, so it was slightly harder to detangle. 

We also had a thick bristle brush, but only used it for "counting hair".  That's where you brush it 100 strokes but I forget why.  Probably to distribute oils..?

Cynde

IP Logged

Galadriel
Stardust

Reply #6 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 3:23pm

I always used a brush to detangle (and not too gently either, I confess) before I found this board. I didn't use combs at all, and I didn't really know about different combs and what kind of combs were good for hair. *shivers*

When I switched from brushing to combing about an year ago, my hair loss drate dropped dramatically.  These days, I have thrown all my old brushes away save one natural bristle brush that I need seldom to "polish" my hair if it is especially greasy. Otherwise, it's all gentle combs for me. Cheesy

1bFii/waist length&&&&The flowers of wonder&&And the hidden treasures&&In the meadow of life&&My acre of heaven&&&&T. Holopainen/Nightwish

IP Logged

Angel Spun
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 4:33pm

I think I know exactly what you mean, Sara.

When I was in grade school (æons ago), I used to carpool with my friends across the street. Every morning before we left, I used to watch their mother rip through their long hair with a worn out brush, and I would cringe every time I heard a snap!

This is what's called a "blind rush." When people are in such a hurry to get something done in time that they do shoddy work and can't see the damage which results. Their focus is the deadline at this point and not the work.  Undecided

Anywho, I feel your pain...in sort of a vicarious, restrospective way.  Tongue

IP Logged

NaturalRogue
Emerald

Dancing at night playing
the music of human soul

Dallas, TX
Reply #8 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 10:42pm

Oh WOW! I'm not the only one to cringe when I hear hair snapping! Unfortunately, it's my hair! I've even acquired a nasty habit of saying "Ouch!".

When I was waaay younger, back in the caveman days, I used love a brush to detangle. Of course, then my hair was well above shoulder length and probably didn't matter much. It did work really well for my wavey/curley hair, though. These days, I have grown in wisdom thanks to the hair goddesses on this board.

Ever wonder how much deeper would the ocean be without sponges.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print