bikerbraid
Shooting Star

Life is short, Break the
rules

Bike Paths of the Midwest
Re: Updos
Reply #15 - Feb 27th, 2003 at 12:53am

Quote:
Do ponytails damage your hair because they pull tightly on the head or do only the ones with metal damage it?

Both can be true.  If you pull your hair tightly and bind it, you can stress the hair and cause breakage or splits.  The metal connectors on the elastics can catch the hair and tear or break it when you remove the elastic.

bikerbraid
Global Salon Moderator
LongLocks HairSticks Boutique
http://www.longlocks.com
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.&&Life may not
WWW Bikerbraid  
IP Logged

leia
Diamond

Dhaka, Bangladesh
Reply #16 - Feb 27th, 2003 at 8:04am

Are thick scrunchies covered with velvet also that bad for you? Those are what I use every time I put my hair in a ponytail or a quick bun.

~*Lioness*~
IP Logged

bikerbraid
Shooting Star

Life is short, Break the
rules

Reply #17 - Feb 27th, 2003 at 10:50am

As long as the fabric is not rough, a scrunchie is great for ponytailing or bunning your hair.

bikerbraid
Global Salon Moderator
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.&&Life may not
WWW Bikerbraid  
IP Logged

leia
Diamond

Dhaka, Bangladesh
Reply #18 - Feb 27th, 2003 at 1:25pm

That's good, because my hair is too thick to hold in regualr ponytail holders, so I use a scrunchie almost every day. I try not to pull my hair too tight.

~*Lioness*~
IP Logged

LillyDale
Amethyst

Quail Hollow, Idaho
Reply #19 - Aug 20th, 2003 at 8:27pm

Fabric-covered scrunchies are great in many ways, but when I don't want colored fabric flapping about my head, I usually use the covered, non-metal elastics.  There is such a good selection out now in different sizes and hair-coordinating colors.  Nice to use in conjuntions with updos 'n stix because they don't show.

Last week I tried a new product by Scuncii, they are nylon bands.  The package says, "NO METAL, NO DAMAGE!"  They also come in hide-in-your-hair shades.  I bit & bought a pack.  OK: if you have any amount of hair at all you can get one use out of each, then it's too stretched out & warped to re-use.  They hold pretty well once they are in, BUT they take hair out when you take them out!! Shocked  Oh, yes!  Broke off a whole hank of hair that I can't spare!  I think this is due to the way they stretch & warp upon removal.

Into the garbage they went!

Yours,&&&&Lilly Dale

IP Logged

bikerbraid
Shooting Star

Life is short, Break the
rules

Reply #20 - Aug 21st, 2003 at 12:45pm

Poor dear! I'm sorry to hear you had difficulties removing those.  Sad  If you are looking for another type of hair tie for ponytails or braid ends, I highly recommend Bunjii hair ties.  They are made of covered elastic that goes through a cord lock hub.  You put your hair through it only once, then wrap the elastic around your hair with the desired tension, then lock the elastic into the cord lock.  They come in a variety of colors and styles.  Check them out at www.Bunjii.com

bikerbraid
Global Salon Moderator
WWW Bikerbraid  
IP Logged

Lady_Of_The_Wood
Amethyst

Yes, I have returned!

Louisiana
Reply #21 - Oct 29th, 2005 at 12:53am

I have found that the "ouchless" suiinci (don't remember how to spell it, yikes!) brand hair ties do not pull my hair at all, and they stay in place, which is saying something with my thick heavy hair. I don't know, maybe it's just cause my hair is tough, but they have never ripped my hair.

AS OF OCTOBER 29, 2005, I HAVE RETURNED TO MY HOME IN CHALMETTE. I WILL NOT BE AROUND HERE FOR AN INDEFINITE AMOUNT OF TIME, BECAUSE WE WILL HAVE NO PHONE SERVICE. PLEASE DONT FORGET ME!!!&&&&Lady&&
LilStickMud@cs.com  
IP Logged

Angel Spun
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Nov 11th, 2005 at 10:02pm

I have used velvet scrunchies for years to tie my hair up and keep it out of the way.

Yes, they do slip out easily (my hair is extremely fine and slick), but it's better than fighting a losing battle with any other hair toy.  Undecided

I've started using the ouchless, bandless type made by Goody. These are the sort without metal or glue or a "juncture" of any kind. Just a seamless nylon O-shaped thing. They're very handy for swimming!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print