Send Topic Print
Rag curls (Read 46841 times)
Superfine
Amethyst

Let if flow!

CANADA
Rag curls
May 7th, 2003 at 6:23pm

Does anyone know how to do rag curls?  I've noticed it posted a few times in other topics.  Would this work on shorter hair?  I currently have just above the shoulder length...if I twisted it tighter because it's shorter..?

I have a daily battle with my hair...it's super fine, super straight and super soft,,,,which means it does nothing!!  I'd love to grow it long but between it's texture and volume and the fact that I have a square face I'm afraid it would "just hang there" with no body and emphasize my jaw.  Every day a small battle goes on in my head....should I cut it? should I grow it? should I perm it?....arrrgh.  Especially since summer is coming up...it's been so humid these past few years and having any hair around my face drives me nuts!!  Unfortunately I also have a large, bulbous forehead so I prefer to wear bangs...which refuse to do anything but lie flat and limp across my forehead (add to that a stubborn cowlick) so even if I pull it back I still have to deal with the bangs some how.

I guess we're never really happy with our hair, no matter what we get!!  Roll Eyes

Long-hair wanna-be

IP Logged

Rapunzel
Global Salon Moderator

Life is like licking honey
from a thorn.

East Nottingham, PA
Re: Rag curls
Reply #1 - May 7th, 2003 at 10:49pm

I *love* rag curls!  The results are so perfect!

I don't know how thick your hair is.  My hair is fine but relatively thick and I can get all mine in four rags (two on top, two on bottom). Just keep in mind that the more the curls, the tighter the curl.

Start with a strip of cotton fabric (I use old flannel sheets) about three times the length of your hair, one for each curl.  It is definitely best to have very damp hair when you begin.  Divide your hair in sections, one for each curl.  Choose one and pin the others out of the way.

Gather one section into a ponytail.  Put a soft ponytail holder at the base, including one strip of fabric.  Leave about 6" of fabric hanging out above the ponytail holder, the remaining length should be next to your ponytail.

Grasp the long length of fabric and wrap the HAIR AROUND the FABRIC.  It is very important that you wrap the hair and not the fabric, or you won't get any curl.  When you reach the end, start working your way back, this time wrapping the FABRIC AROUND to cover the already coiled HAIR.  When you get to the top of the rag curl, tie the two ends together to secure.  Repeat for each curl.

Keep in mind that it will take your hair a *long* time to dry in rag curls.  Once you are sure it is dry (takes mine more than 24 hours), untie the knot at the top and uncoil the fabric from around the hair.  Once you are at the bottom, grasp the ponytail holder with one hand and carefully and gently pull the fabric down through the curl.  You should then be able to slide the ponytail holder off the curl as well.

Rag curls respond especially well to finger combing if you want ringlets.  Otherwise, comb with a wide-toothed comb so you can easily remove any little knots that may have cropped up in the process.

Susan Maxwell Schmidt
LongLocks HairSticks Boutique
Rapunzel never had it so good...
http://www.longlocks.com
Style & Angst - The LongLocks Blog
http://www.longlocks.com/style-angst
IP Logged

bikerbraid
Shooting Star

Life is short, Break the
rules

Bike Paths of the Midwest
Reply #2 - May 8th, 2003 at 10:47am

Quote:
I have a daily battle with my hair...it's super fine, super straight and super soft,,,,which means it does nothing!!  I'd love to grow it long but between it's texture and volume and the fact that I have a square face I'm afraid it would "just hang there" with no body and emphasize my jaw.  Every day a small battle goes on in my head....should I cut it? should I grow it? should I perm it?....arrrgh.  Especially since summer is coming up...it's been so humid these past few years and having any hair around my face drives me nuts!!  

Superfine;
Another suggestion for creating a little lift to your hair and keeping it off your face would be to put just the front/top section of your hair into a barrette, ponytail or braid.  This allows you to show off the length, but keep it out of your face.

bikerbraid
Global Salon Moderator
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.&&Life may not
WWW Bikerbraid  
IP Logged

Superfine
Amethyst

Let if flow!

CANADA
Reply #3 - May 8th, 2003 at 2:13pm

That sounds neat!!  I'll bet it takes a little practice tho.  Does it work on different length hair?  I still have some layering in my bob.  How thick are the strips of flannel?  I'm assuming the thicker the strips, the looser the curls, the thinner the strips, the tighter...right?

My hair dries fairly fast....do you wash it right before you go to bed?  If I wash it earlier it will be dry in an hour!  Even if it's dry....can I still keep them in all night??  So when you use the rag curls, how long do the curls last for you?

Any suggestions for what to do about humidity and your hair?  During the summer here it's horrible!!

Bikerbraid....good idea!!  The only problem right now is that I still have layers on top....which leaves little pieces hanging out if I try to pull it back....plus, my hair is quite slippery and hard to hold back with clips...unless I try those small "butterfly" type....anyone use those?  Are they ok for your hair or do they scratch?

Long-hair wanna-be

IP Logged

bikerbraid
Shooting Star

Life is short, Break the
rules

Reply #4 - May 8th, 2003 at 3:07pm

You might try doing twists with the front hair (sort of like cornrows only not braided) to bring the hair to the back.

The rag curls work with all different lengths of hair.  And you are right, the tighter/smaller the wrap, the tighter the curl.  I have waist length hair and use a favorite cotton crew sock (or socks) to curl my hair.  One sock gives me nice waves, two socks a bit more bounce and curl, 4 socks and I have large ringlets!  The curling works best if your hair is damp when rolled. 

Have some fun and be creative!  Grin

bikerbraid
Global Salon Moderator
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.&&Life may not
WWW Bikerbraid  
IP Logged

leia
Diamond

Dhaka, Bangladesh
Reply #5 - May 9th, 2003 at 5:11am

The butterfly clips are ok for your hair, they don't rip it or scratch it, as long as you don't find pieces of hair clinging to it when you take it out.

Is your hair too short to braid?

~*Lioness*~
IP Logged

Anne-Marie
Emerald

Germany
Reply #6 - May 10th, 2003 at 2:37pm

Superfine:Not an answer to your original question(I´ve no idea how to do rag curls Grin ),but I wouldn´t worry about growing your hair longer!Your hair sounds identical to mine-I have lots of super fine/straight/slippery hair too-and it is at 41 inches now.It took a bit of patience,and the growing-out phase(especially around mid-back lenght) is a bit trying,but there is so much more one can do with long hair.A different hair accessory(hairsticks!!) in some kind of updo every day almost always looks good.
My hair also just hangs there when I leave it down,but I don´t mind, Grin since I wear my hair in an   updo almost 99% of the time.I once also had a chin-length bob,and all I can say is that my hair is much easier to handle nowadays.So,don´t despair! Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2003 at 6:43am by Anne-Marie »  

50'', very fine but lots of it, Paula's Choice Shampoo,Real Purity Chamomile Shampoo,Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm,Alchemy Macadamia & Wheat Conditioner,Sante Henna Shampoo

IP Logged

Anne-Marie
Emerald

Germany
Reply #7 - May 10th, 2003 at 2:40pm

Sorry,lots of typos,had been in a hurry! Shocked

50'', very fine but lots of it, Paula's Choice Shampoo,Real Purity Chamomile Shampoo,Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm,Alchemy Macadamia & Wheat Conditioner,Sante Henna Shampoo

IP Logged

Rapunzel
Global Salon Moderator

Life is like licking honey
from a thorn.

East Nottingham, PA
Reply #8 - May 12th, 2003 at 3:45am

FYI... you can correct typos or any other errors by clicking "Modify" on your post.

Yours in the "I make a lot of use of that function" (as you can see) devolution,

Susan Maxwell Schmidt
Rapunzel never had it so good...
Style & Angst - The LongLocks Blog
http://www.longlocks.com/style-angst
IP Logged

Anne-Marie
Emerald

Germany
Reply #9 - May 12th, 2003 at 6:45am

Thanks,that´s good to know! Cheesy

IP Logged

Superfine
Amethyst

Let if flow!

CANADA
Reply #10 - May 12th, 2003 at 2:08pm

Hey guys...thanks for all the suggestions!!  As for braiding my hair....it still has quite a few layers in it and would be frustrating...plus, I've never braided before...I've had a co-worker french braid it when it was longer but that was over 10 years ago!!  Shocked

Anne-Marie....thanks for the encouragement.  I'm just afraid that I don't have the right facial features for long hair....I have a really strong jaw and I've had hairdressers comment that long hair (shoulder length) makes my face look too long.  The other problem is that volume-wise I don't have alot of hair, plus thickness- wise it's fine so it's a double-whammy.  At least if you have fine hair but you have alot of it, it looks like something, you know??   Undecided

Well, next week I have my 8-week hair appointment...and I'm agonizing on a daily basis if I want to go short or grow it out.... ???  The thing is I hate using styling products in it cuz it's so fine and I can literally feel the products in my hair...it feels like I need to wash it again....so I can't do much in the way of styling...I curl it in the morning but it doesn't last...so it pretty much hangs down...unless I pull it back everyday it'll drive me nuts!!  But the whole point of having long hair is to enjoy it and admire it...if it's up all the time it's not the same....anyway, I'm sure you've all gone thru this stage of contemplating long hair... Roll Eyes

I guess I could always wear a head band it keep it off my face....you know the ones you can buy to tie around your neck? I don't know....arrrghhh!!  I actually just colored it this weekend...a dark brown..using Herbatint (semi-natural product)...it turned out really nice and soft and the color is exactly what I wanted.  You have to leave it in for 40 minutes, but hey, for the results it's okay.

Long-hair wanna-be

IP Logged

bikerbraid
Shooting Star

Life is short, Break the
rules

Reply #11 - May 12th, 2003 at 2:32pm

I have very fine hair as well, and not as much of it as I would like.  I have found that at certains stages of growing my hair, it seemed less cooperative and unwilling to do anything I wanted it to do.  My hair does not like to hold a curl if it is shorter than  BSL.  Once I got past that length, the rag curls hold very well.  I can have wonderful ringlets or just body waves.  I do not use any leave-in products.  I just roll my hair when it is slightly damp and let it dry.

Sounds like you are happy with your "new" color - that might help you get through the awkward stage you feel you are in.

bikerbraid
Global Salon Moderator
WWW Bikerbraid  
IP Logged

Superfine
Amethyst

Let if flow!

CANADA
Reply #12 - May 12th, 2003 at 2:46pm

Actually it's funny you mention it, Bikerbraid....when I was younger and had longer hair (just slightly longer than shoulder length) it did have a slight curl in it.  Not any more....although I haven't had it to that length in a while.  I'd be curious to see if it would come back....I just naturally assumed that after all the torture I had put my hair thru (perms, colors, washing twice a day sometimes, etc) that it was punishing me.   Wink

Does BSL = Below Shoulder Length??

Another silly question, you know how some women's hair falls into a "v" pattern in the back rather than straight across?  Do you have to have it cut like that or is that a natural thing?  I think it looks cool....like a cascade of hair.

Long-hair wanna-be

IP Logged

bikerbraid
Shooting Star

Life is short, Break the
rules

Reply #13 - May 12th, 2003 at 3:45pm

BSL = Bra strap length

The "V" that you see could be either natural or cut.  I have noticed that people who do not have regular trims, their hair will tend to be a bit shorter on the sides than the back.  This could be because the hairline is lower on the back of the head or due to the likelihood of damage being greater for the hair in the front and sides.  Some people prefer that more natural look with the hair "rounded" rather than straight across or blunt.  My hair is slightly rounded, not straight across, but not a sharp V.  I have my hair trimmed once or twice a year now.

bikerbraid
Global Salon Moderator
WWW Bikerbraid  
IP Logged

leia
Diamond

Dhaka, Bangladesh
Reply #14 - May 13th, 2003 at 12:08am

I thought the v-shape could only be cut into the hair. Hm.

~*Lioness*~
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print