Rag curls (Read 46850 times)
BraiderSC
Ruby

AS...YOU...WISH ...!  Westley
never dies

Southeast USA
Re: Rag curls
Reply #15 - Oct 12th, 2004 at 10:20pm

Wow this topic's been here awhile!  Oh well, I'll reply to it anyways Roll Eyes.  I have tried rag curls as well as french braids, etc, to curl my hair.  I don' t like to leave it in for as long as it would take to dry if I did it wet.  So I wait till my hair's completely dry, then use the rags as specified in the first post.  After my hair's wrapped around the rag, but before I wrap the fabric back up, I lightly spray my hair with water from a spray bottle.  This way, only the hair on the outside of the curl (which dries first 'cause its on the outside Smiley) gets wet.  Then I finish wrapping the rag.  if you forget to spray your hair until after the wrapped curl is finished you can still spray the rag, getting it slightly damp, and it will still work.  if I do this my hair is dry overnight (8,9 hours).  Remember to only get hair slightly damp!

IP Logged

bikerbraid
Shooting Star

Life is short, Break the
rules

Bike Paths of the Midwest
Reply #16 - Oct 12th, 2004 at 11:10pm

Yep - spraying the hair so it is damp can work. 

My hair does not like to curl easily, so I've found the more damp my hair is when I wrap it, (and the longer left wrapped up), the better the curls will last.

bikerbraid
Global Salon Moderator
LongLocks HairSticks Boutique
http://www.longlocks.com
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.&&Life may not
WWW Bikerbraid  
IP Logged

Valerie
Diamond

Colorado
Reply #17 - Feb 13th, 2005 at 2:35am

I tried rag curls for the first time tonight and so far am not having anyluck. 

I cut my strips of flannel pillow case, put in the holder around the hair and fabric, then wrapped my hair around the fabric.  All good to this point.  But when wrapping the fabric around the hair, it was too loose, and even if I had been able to tie the ends, the fabric cover would have fallen off the twisted hair.  What am I doing wrong?  When I've seen pictures of people with their hair still in the rag curls, they have been tied close to the head.  Mine just hung down.  Also, when I tried to take it out, the hair was soooo tangled in the fabric.  The directions seem so simple, I just can't seem to make it work.   ???

2aMii
irisblue23  
IP Logged

bikerbraid
Shooting Star

Life is short, Break the
rules

Reply #18 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 10:42am

Hmmm, let's see if I can help.....

When I do rag curls, I start wrapping my hair around the strip STARTING at about half the length of my hair.  Once I have the ends wrapped around the fabric, I 'roll' the rest of my hair onto the fabric, bringing it to my scalp.  I then twist my hair into a mini bun (if necessary to keep the hair closer to the scalp), then tie the ends of the fabric to hold the roller in place.

I really must get hubby to take some pictures of this being done - it is so hard to describe.

bikerbraid
Global Salon Moderator
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.&&Life may not
WWW Bikerbraid  
IP Logged

Valerie
Diamond

Colorado
Reply #19 - Feb 15th, 2005 at 3:36am

I'll give that a try, thank you!

2aMii
irisblue23  
IP Logged

Valerie
Diamond

Colorado
Reply #20 - Mar 16th, 2005 at 3:32am

Quote:
Hmmm, let's see if I can help.....

When I do rag curls, I start wrapping my hair around the strip STARTING at about half the length of my hair.  Once I have the ends wrapped around the fabric, I 'roll' the rest of my hair onto the fabric, bringing it to my scalp.  I then twist my hair into a mini bun (if necessary to keep the hair closer to the scalp), then tie the ends of the fabric to hold the roller in place.

I really must get hubby to take some pictures of this being done - it is so hard to describe.

I had better luck getting them in tonight then I ever have before.  (I actually have 2 rag curls in my hair)  I did have to pin one of them up, and we'll see how it looks tomorrow morning.   Smiley

2aMii
irisblue23  
IP Logged

bikerbraid
Shooting Star

Life is short, Break the
rules

Reply #21 - Mar 16th, 2005 at 10:11am

Let us know how it worked for you.   Cheesy

bikerbraid
Global Salon Moderator
WWW Bikerbraid  
IP Logged

Valerie
Diamond

Colorado
Reply #22 - Mar 17th, 2005 at 2:53am

I split my hair into 4 sections, did 2 wrap snap and go curlers and 2 rag curlers.  I liked the effect of the rag curls better, but I wrapped dry hair w/ no gel, so it wasn't curly enough.  I'll keep trying though.  Now that I've figured out the basics, it can only get better.   Wink

2aMii
irisblue23  
IP Logged

bikerbraid
Shooting Star

Life is short, Break the
rules

Reply #23 - Mar 17th, 2005 at 10:54am

Way to go!  Next......pictures!

bikerbraid
Global Salon Moderator
WWW Bikerbraid  
IP Logged

Brad
Amethyst

I love long shiny hair,
it is so pretty.  1aF/Nii

Illinois
Reply #24 - May 18th, 2005 at 2:34pm

It's been a while since I was on. The rags curls sounds great, I'll have to give it a try.
Brad

IP Logged

bikerbraid
Shooting Star

Life is short, Break the
rules

Reply #25 - May 18th, 2005 at 5:16pm

Quote:
It's been a while since I was on. The rags curls sounds great, I'll have to give it a try.
Brad

Glad to see you back!  Let us know how the rag curls work out.

bikerbraid
Global Salon Moderator
WWW Bikerbraid  
IP Logged

SittyKitty
Ruby

Kentucky, USA
Reply #26 - Aug 8th, 2005 at 7:52pm

Sounds great, but I'm not sure whether I should use strips of fabric or socks. Socks sound ssoooo much easier, but I"m having trouble understanding how to use the sock method. Any more info would be great. By the way my hair is knee lengh and thin. Don't hold curl very good.

IP Logged

Anais Satin
Stardust

Tailbone in March 2006,
classic in March 2007

Bill Gates' backyard, WA
Reply #27 - Aug 8th, 2005 at 8:34pm

Have you seen the visual sock curling instructions yet?

Welcome to Longlocks Smiley
Anais

IP Logged

novusfemina
Emerald

La nuit a des douceurs
de femme

Reply #28 - Aug 8th, 2005 at 9:26pm

Quote:
Sounds great, but I'm not sure whether I should use strips of fabric or socks. Socks sound ssoooo much easier, but I"m having trouble understanding how to use the sock method. Any more info would be great. By the way my hair is knee lengh and thin. Don't hold curl very good.

Anais' sock curling instructions work great, by the way.  (tried the sock curling about 5 days ago on the last wash) but for the me the rags are a little bit easier to manage... (maybe because I was using tired old socks? *giggles*  ahh well)

Rapunzel mentioned something about only doing a few (4) rag curls on your head, and I think I'm going to give this a shot.... but I'm still going to do the vertical-twist thingy Anais has in her instructions... it makes the hair SOOOOO much more easier to roll!

IP Logged

SittyKitty
Ruby

Kentucky, USA
Reply #29 - Aug 9th, 2005 at 1:18pm

So where can I find the visual, I'm gonna go look now, but if anyone could tell me just in case I don't have any luck that would be GREAT!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print