Susan's Closet
LongLocks Collectors Club
Index of Hair Care Articles
Testimonials
Free Newsletter

L'Etoile Perdue by William Bouguereau

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
So Slick It Won't Stay Anywhere but Down (Read 20574 times)
strawberryfine
Emerald

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

US
So Slick It Won't Stay Anywhere but Down
Dec 17th, 2004 at 10:23pm

Has anyone else had this problem? 

My hair is fine and slick and pieces just slide out, even from a scrunchie ponytail (the pieces may just be too short).
It's long enough for a French braid but that slides out, too.

I've had some success with Rapunzel's HairSticks and some with a medium Ficcare clip, but it still slides.

Any suggestions would be so much appreciated.

Maybe my hair is just not meant to stay up. ???

TIA,

strawberryfine

strawberryfine&&2a F ii && &&
IP Logged

eKatherine
Emerald

Maine
Re: So Slick It Won't Stay Anywhere but Down
Reply #1 - Dec 18th, 2004 at 12:21am

Quote:
Has anyone else had this problem? 

My hair is fine and slick and pieces just slide out, even from a scrunchie ponytail (the pieces may just be too short).
It's long enough for a French braid but that slides out, too.

I've had some success with Rapunzel's HairSticks and some with a medium Ficcare clip, but it still slides.

Any suggestions would be so much appreciated.

Maybe my hair is just not meant to stay up. ???

TIA,

strawberryfine

My hair is super-slippery too. I've never been able to get it to stay in a scrunchie. I have to use a covered elastic band, which is tighter and controls better.

Loose French braids have never worked for me, either. The hair takes up unevenly, the first part braided becoming shorter than the length, and it pulls out and looks like I've slept in it for a week. The only exception is when I French braid and pin it up. The fact that there's no movement means it stays neat and tidy.

Big (fat) hairsticks work for me, as they tend to tighten up the bun, but I have a pair of Mei Fa sticks that's useless except as a decoration, way too skinny.

IP Logged

Galadriel
Stardust

Reply #2 - Dec 18th, 2004 at 11:48am

Ooh, I have experience of this.

If you want your hair to stay in a bun, you might need to secure with it pins- even though you use a hairstick.

A bun net is a huge help. It will prevent hairs from slipping, though it doesn't secure a hairdo. I couldn't imagine making a good-looking, secure bun without one (or an entire can of hairspray). Start your bun from a ponytail secured with a ponytail holder.

A braided hairdo won't stay neat if your hair is clean. I have developed a nice "hairdo routine"- different styles on different days, based on how many day it is from previous wash.
First day: A simple bun attached very securely.
Second day: Depends on occassion, probably a bun, but a braid has a chance of surviving.
Third day (before washing): Braid. Finally I can make it stay.

Forget ponytails attached with a soft scrunchie. If you absolutely want a ponytail, use a ponytail holder. Flat ones without metal are great for this.

Remember, that though slippery hair is maddening, it's also shiny and beautiful- once you've managed to tame it Wink

1bFii/waist length&&&&The flowers of wonder&&And the hidden treasures&&In the meadow of life&&My acre of heaven&&&&T. Holopainen/Nightwish

IP Logged

strawberryfine
Emerald

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

US
Reply #3 - Dec 18th, 2004 at 3:32pm

Thanks eKatherine and Galadriel!

There was some great info in both of your posts and it helps to know you are not alone in this.

What brand ponytail holders are you using?  I have some that are flat with no metal that I like but I can't remember where I got them.

Thanks again,

strawberryfine

IP Logged

novusfemina
Emerald

La nuit a des douceurs
de femme

Reply #4 - Dec 18th, 2004 at 3:42pm

Okay.. so I don't have super straight hair, (oooo straight silky hair has always been a dream of mine!) but I can give you a bit of advice about non-harming pony tail holders!

I use the Goody brand "ouchless" pony tail holders.  The ends of the elastic are melted together rather than secured with a metal clamp.  And there are great!  You can buy a HUGE pack of them at the drugstore for a couple of dollars and they come in every color of the rainbow.  And they are prefect for just about every hairstyle.

IP Logged

strawberryfine
Emerald

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

US
Reply #5 - Dec 18th, 2004 at 4:06pm

Thanks, Red!

I'm going to Walgreens later today and I will write that down.

eKatherine, where would I find the big, fat hairsticks?  I'd love to try them.

Since my last post I ponytailed with the flat ponytail holder I have, sprayed it with a mister, hairpinned, then hair netted the bun, pinned somemore and then worked my LongLocks hair sticks in behind the ponytail holder.

I don't think it''s going anywhere and it feels really nice and looks nice, too.

Thanks so much again!  I was really feeling the urge to chop to get rid of some damage and layers, but this way I can put it up and let it grow.

Galadriel, that hair net did the trick! Wink

strawberryfine Smiley

ETA: This will get me through the Christmas season and takes some worry off my mind.  By next Christmas, I'll have presentable length, but this year I'd just be asking for haircut recommendations if I wore it down.  It's at a pretty adolescent stage right now.

IP Logged

Galadriel
Stardust

Reply #6 - Dec 18th, 2004 at 5:27pm

My ponytail holders are made by local brand -I think. As long as they are flat and have no metal, they seem to work ok.

In hairstyles section I posted a little while ago two bun styles for a shorter hair. One is simple and the other is more dressy. They worked from me since my hair was flip length. Smiley

Keep bun net at hand and stay away from scissors- in just a few inches your hair will start behaving better (I hope so, my hair isn't much longer than yours  Lips Sealed )

1bFii/waist length&&&&The flowers of wonder&&And the hidden treasures&&In the meadow of life&&My acre of heaven&&&&T. Holopainen/Nightwish

IP Logged

eKatherine
Emerald

Maine
Reply #7 - Dec 18th, 2004 at 8:12pm

Quote:
eKatherine, where would I find the big, fat hairsticks?  I'd love to try them.

Unfortunately, nobody makes anything like this, so I was referring to other objects that are hairstick-like in shape, but fatter. Like colored pencils, or fat knitting needles. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

styg
Diamond

~¤ she shines in a world
full of ugliness ¤~

France
Reply #8 - Dec 19th, 2004 at 7:05pm

after i started taking better care: avoiding silicones, oiling COing, my hair has gotten way smoother as well. i recently found that 1/3 jojoba/aloe vera does wonders both as a gloss and a gel.

styg. (1 b/c F/M ii)&&32"/ 36"/ 38-40"

IP Logged

strawberryfine
Emerald

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

US
Reply #9 - Dec 19th, 2004 at 10:40pm

Styg,
I tried the jojoba oil/aloe mix and it was quite nice!

strawberryfine

IP Logged

Galadriel
Stardust

Reply #10 - Dec 20th, 2004 at 4:22am

Have you tried Rapunzel's SpiralStix? They seem to work very well with my hair.

IP Logged

styg
Diamond

~¤ she shines in a world
full of ugliness ¤~

France
Reply #11 - Dec 20th, 2004 at 11:29am

i've these little spiral hair pins but they are hard to find (i bought them in brussels). and i will for sure try as well the spiral hair sticks somewhere soon.

IP Logged

strawberryfine
Emerald

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

US
Reply #12 - Dec 21st, 2004 at 12:01am

Thanks to everyone for all the support and suggestions!

Galadriel, I saved you two buns for shorter hair; thanks!
Also, I haven't tried Rapunzel's Spiralstix so I plan on making my next LongLocks HairStix purchase a pair of the spiral ones.  I love the one pair I have.

Too bad they don't make fatter hairsticks.  I wonder if Rapunzel would be interested....

Everyone here is just so helpful and sweet!

strawberryfine Smiley

IP Logged

strawberryfine
Emerald

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

US
Reply #13 - Dec 21st, 2004 at 10:30pm

Styg,

Are those spiral hairpins called Hairscroos? I've seen some on another site but will try to find a website for them.

I did a low bun, netted, pinned and hair-sticked (hairstuck?) today and it stayed pretty well thanks to all the great advice in this thread! 8)

strawberryfine

IP Logged

sam00188
Amethyst

Blondie

Norwich Ct
Reply #14 - Dec 21st, 2004 at 10:46pm

i no wut u meen strawberryfine i hate it when it fly's

Sam aka Kanga Roo

IP Logged

styg
Diamond

~¤ she shines in a world
full of ugliness ¤~

France
Reply #15 - Dec 22nd, 2004 at 4:15pm

Quote:
Styg,

Are those spiral hairpins called Hairscroos? I've seen some on another site but will try to find a website for them.

could be. they have a diameter aroundn 1cm

IP Logged

UP_Lisa
Sapphire

Michigan - Upper Peninsula
Reply #16 - Jan 6th, 2005 at 6:42pm

What are safe hair pins to use?  All I've ever seen are metal.

IP Logged

UP_Lisa
Sapphire

Reply #17 - Jan 21st, 2005 at 2:21pm

Where can I find bun nets?  I can find hair nets, but not bun nets.

IP Logged

UP_Lisa
Sapphire

Reply #18 - Jan 21st, 2005 at 2:24pm

Today my hair is more slippery than ever.  I guess I've used cones for so long I didn't think my hair could get this slippery without them.  Last night I used Biolage conditioning balm and a new non-cone leave-in conditioner.  I could not believe how smooth my hair got.  I keep feeling it.  It feels just like silk.  And it's not tangly like I thought it would be.

IP Logged

styg
Diamond

~¤ she shines in a world
full of ugliness ¤~

France
Reply #19 - Jan 21st, 2005 at 4:34pm

Quote:
Where can I find bun nets?  I can find hair nets, but not bun nets.

i think it's pretty much the same if you mean those invisible ones. you just need to wind them more than once around your bun!

IP Logged

UP_Lisa
Sapphire

Reply #20 - Jan 21st, 2005 at 6:22pm

I guess that might work.  Thanks!

IP Logged

Galadriel
Stardust

Reply #21 - Jan 22nd, 2005 at 7:48am

Here bun nets are sold nearly everywhere where hair stuff is sold. If that's not the case in where you live...I think dancers and ballerinas consume bun nets a lot- maybe that would be a clue.  ???

IP Logged

AngelQ
Amethyst

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #22 - Aug 25th, 2005 at 9:39pm

I am so all over this one!  I have the ultimate thin-fine-slick hair combo.  Barrettes and ponytail-holders slide outta my hair like butter on a non-stick skillet.  But with a lot of patience, I've found some things that work.  Scunci Hair Hosiery
No Damage Elastics are fantastic.  They're made out of the same material as panty-hose and are very light weight.  I found a set of curved bobby pins, also by scunci I think, that are actually tight enough to stay in.  I also own a few wooden hair pins from www.blueheronwoods.com that actually work!  The two-prong pin (with its subtle curves) and the three-prong comb work suprisingly well for buns made of slippery hair.  Sometimes I still pull my hair up into an elastic before I wind up the bun, and slide the pin in behind it, creating a really secure bun.  Check them out!  Her work is beautiful.  When I create updos, I generally use a light spritz of Aubrey Organics Hair Missst (look mom, no plastics!) to help hold things.  It also helps if your hair is a little dirty... Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print