L'Etoile Perdue by William Bouguereau

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Advice please! (Read 10063 times)
reeses067
Amethyst

Advice please!
Jan 27th, 2006 at 3:17am

My hair seems to stop growing at a certain length.  I take care of it and I get it trimmed regularly.  Is there anything that I'm doing wrong or is there anything I should do to make it grow?

IP Logged

Anne-Marie
Emerald

Germany
Re: Advice please!
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2006 at 8:42am

Speaking from my own experience-my hair goes through resting phases,where it does not grow at all for a few months.
Or maybe the regular trimming is the reason-during the first years when I tried to grow my hair long I always went to regular trims at a salon and my hair never seemed to grow past waistlength.
My hair has gained all the extra length after I started to trim it myself-doing microtrims to keep the ends neat only.
Hope that helps a bit,even though I have a different hairtype,straight and very fine Smiley Smiley

Oh,and taking hair vitamins plus MSM has helped a lot,too Wink

50'', very fine but lots of it, Paula's Choice Shampoo,Real Purity Chamomile Shampoo,Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm,Alchemy Macadamia & Wheat Conditioner,Sante Henna Shampoo

IP Logged

bikerbraid
Shooting Star

Life is short, Break the
rules

Bike Paths of the Midwest
Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2006 at 12:24pm

My experience has been, the longer my hair gets, the longer the resting phase.  I'm sure there is no scientifc research on this, but that's just been my experience.

My hair grew only 3" in 2005.  I had only one micro trim during the year.  Normally, my hair grows at about 1/2" a month, but not last year.  I think my head went into a resting phase.  I may have reached my terminal length, or my hair may just be resting.  I'll give it a few more months before I decide which it is.

bikerbraid
Global Salon Moderator
LongLocks HairSticks Boutique
http://www.longlocks.com
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.&&Life may not
WWW Bikerbraid  
IP Logged

reeses067
Amethyst

Reply #3 - Jan 28th, 2006 at 12:11am

Thanks gals! But, is there a specific reason hair goes through a resting period?  And is there anything I can to to get it out of "hybernation"?

IP Logged

panpeus
Diamond

Reply #4 - Jan 28th, 2006 at 12:22am

There are 3 resting/growing phases of a hair follicle:
http://science.howstuffworks.com/question251.htm

This website briefly explains what goes on.  While there is really no way to avoid this process...if you take care of yourself -- physically and mentally -- you can hopefully reach your optimum hair growth.

Sometimes hair looks like it "stops" growing due to heat styling, or if you pull your pony tail too tightly around your hair.  Also, everyone has a terminal length.  (I wouldn't worry about this unless your hair is past your hips.)

Edit: howstuffworks is actually down right now, so I kinda guessed on that URL.  Let me know if it doesn't work! :p

...&&&&...&&

IP Logged

Blondie35
Sapphire

LongLocks Rocks!

Reply #5 - May 6th, 2008 at 10:08pm

I agree with Anne-Marie,

There were times when I was doing my own trims, and my hair seemed like it didn't want to grow any longer at all.  It stayed the same length for 10 years.  I had always been wearing a bob style, and I've always wanted my hair to grow a lot longer like classic length or longer but it never seemed like it wanted to grow anymore.  But as about 2 years ago since I've been on this board and on other longhaired boards I have really learned a lot from this trimming thing.  I have really learned that in order to have healthy growing hair you don't have to trim a whole lot for it to grow faster.  I have come to learn and realize that regular trims are an old wise tail saying.  Now, I do strongly believe in getting arrid of the damaged ends if you have any splits but not to just literly trim off ends if you don't have any split ends.

About a year an a half ago I started growing my hair out from a short bob or ear length style.  Now, it has grown almost Bra Strap Length!!!!  It is beyond my shoulders!!!  And I haven't had a trim since te beginning of 2007.  I think that I can say right now my hair is 8" long comparing to it being only 3 or 4" last year.  I can also really say that considering how much my hair been through as far as lots of damage and overall health goes I have really gained a lot of hair and length!!!!  Normally with me being a healthy person without taking any hair vitaminsa and just eating the right kind of foods my hair grows 12" a year without any trims or cuts.

Blondie35

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print