Susan's Closet
LongLocks Collectors Club
Index of Hair Care Articles
Testimonials
Free Newsletter

L'Etoile Perdue by William Bouguereau

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Not sure where this goes (Read 8437 times)
Debr
Diamond

LongLocks Rocks!

Not sure where this goes
Apr 5th, 2007 at 2:12pm

Good Morning all,  I am not sure where this topic should go so--I will start here.  About 9 yrs ago, I decided to straighten my curly hair.  I had it done by a stylist 2 times, 4 months apart.  While drying my hair w/an 1800 watt hair dryer, I burned a section of my ends, came completely off.  I didnt cut the rest of my hair to even it up (should have) now, with my hair to my hips, I have found that shorter area.  I have been cutting my hair approx 4 inches so far.  Looks I have maybe 3 inches to go b4 it all even again.  I am planning a trim for the 1st of May, should I cut the full 3 inches or 1 1/2 now and the rest later?  Debr

IP Logged

Angel Spun
Ex Member

Re: Not sure where this goes
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2007 at 3:08pm

Poor Debr. Sorry about your fried ends.  Sad

Were it me, I would take off the full 3 inches all at once, as well as getting regular trims afterwards. Damage, if left alone, can travel up the hair shaft. I would cut off every last inch of damage to spare the rest of my hair from it later on.

Also, chemically altering the structure of your hair (via perms, straightening, body waves, etc.) are extremely damaging. It's far better to embrace your natural texture than fight against it...it's a losing battle for your hair.

I don't think I even need to approach the blowfryer subject...

IP Logged

Debr
Diamond

LongLocks Rocks!

Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2007 at 4:30pm

Thanx Angel Spun,  I havent done chemicals well--hmmm, I think about 8 yrs now.  I stopped blowfrying almost 3yrs ago. I am sure the chemicals have grown out now, and I have been taking MUCH better care of my curls  Grin.  But I was just wondering about the breakage from the abuse I did.  So,  I think I will just take off all of it and be done with it.  It is getting better, I am oiling it the nite b4 I wash now.  That has helped immensley(sp).  Debr

IP Logged

Sakina
Stardust

August 2O1O @ the Louvre

Arizona
Reply #3 - Apr 5th, 2007 at 9:11pm

I agree, taking it all off now is better in the long run, eventhough it sucks to have to cut length.

Hang in there!  The good news is it grows back, right!

Sakina
Salon Board Moderator
LongLocks HairSticks Boutique
http://www.longlocks.com
Healthy hair is beautiful no matter what length it is.
IP Logged

Angel Spun
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Apr 5th, 2007 at 11:27pm

Quote:
Hang in there!  The good news is it grows back, right!

Amen, Sakina! Thank goodness for that!  Grin

Hope all goes well with the trim, Debr. Good to hear that you're over the abuse and your curls are in better shape these days (btw, being a straightie, I think you're very lucky to have curls!).

Just keep taking care of your hair like you have been and you will reap the benefits. In about 6 months, you will replace the 3 inches that you will have lost. I know that sounds like a long time, but this year is flying by very quickly.  Wink  Just be patient and try not to think about it.

IP Logged

Debr
Diamond

LongLocks Rocks!

Reply #5 - Apr 10th, 2007 at 1:09pm

Earlier in the year I had decided this would be the year I was going for my knees.  Alas, that will not be happening now  Cry.  Overall I think it would be the smartest to do is just cut off the 3 inches which are now bugging me, and let it grow.  Maybe next year  Wink I can have knee length hair.

Debr

IP Logged

Curlgirl64
Stardust

Practice Yoga,give and
receive Reiki

Brooklyn,N.Y.
Reply #6 - Apr 11th, 2007 at 7:20am

Don't despair, Debr!  We're here with you on your journey to knee length hair. Smiley

Curlgirl64
Head Board Moderator
WWW Curlgirl64  
IP Logged

Debr
Diamond

LongLocks Rocks!

Reply #7 - Apr 12th, 2007 at 1:30pm

aaawwwww----thanx Curlgirl,  After looking at these ends I have to realize they gotta go.  Its just hard, I have been going back and forth trying to decide to cut it all at once, or take 1/2 off now and the other 1/2 later  Undecided.  I want the old abuse off, but I also want the length.   Hhhmmmmm----tis very disorganized to procrastinate like this.

Debr

IP Logged

Curlgirl64
Stardust

Practice Yoga,give and
receive Reiki

Brooklyn,N.Y.
Reply #8 - Apr 12th, 2007 at 3:42pm

Ya know what......can you take the damaged ends off first and then wait and think about cutting the rest off?  Sometimes when you take off what needs to be taken off first,then think about the other part later on.  When you reflect for alittle bit you'll have your answer.  No point in rushing a decision that may or may not be regretable later,right?

Curlgirl64
Head Board Moderator
WWW Curlgirl64  
IP Logged

Debr
Diamond

LongLocks Rocks!

Reply #9 - Apr 12th, 2007 at 4:09pm

Yes, Curlgirl, I do believe that is probably what is gonna happen.  The area in question is growing and is lacking just about 3 inches in catching up w/the hemline.  I will probably take off 1/2 if not more on the 1st of May---then sometime in the summer, finish the job.  My hair has been responding exceptionally well to oiling the nite b4 washing  Grin.  I am very happy w/it today.
Thankyou for the advice.

Debr

IP Logged

Curlgirl64
Stardust

Practice Yoga,give and
receive Reiki

Brooklyn,N.Y.
Reply #10 - Apr 12th, 2007 at 9:34pm

You are welcome Wink

Curlgirl64