hair thickness (Read 9963 times)
brunette85
Sapphire

yogalates: mind, body,
and spirit

USA
hair thickness
Feb 12th, 2008 at 11:48am

i was wondering what everybodys hair thickness is. mine i belive is 4". but my hair was shorter when i measured and it was over a year ago. i will have to check again. anyway, i was just curious since there are so many different types of hair.

SL/CBL/CL
3a-b/m-c/iii
kaseys_mom06  
IP Logged

Sakina
Stardust

August 2O1O @ the Louvre

Arizona
Re: hair thickness
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2008 at 2:35pm

I'm not sure how to measure the thickness, actually.  I have medium thickness of the strands, but I have a lot of hair.  My hair is thicker than average, probably.  I always get comments on how thick my hair is when I go get it trimmed, but I don't know what that really means.  I have quite a bit of volume because of my curly/wavyness.

Sakina
Salon Board Moderator
LongLocks HairSticks Boutique
http://www.longlocks.com
Healthy hair is beautiful no matter what length it is.
IP Logged

Angel Spun
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2008 at 4:49pm

My own hair is 1½" if I remember correctly (it's been awhile since I measured). And I just measured my sister's ponytail the other day and it's 3".

IP Logged

Debr
Diamond

LongLocks Rocks!

Reply #3 - Feb 12th, 2008 at 5:16pm

Mine is 61/4".   I measured it at 61/5, while mom measured it at 6.

Debr

IP Logged

brunette85
Sapphire

yogalates: mind, body,
and spirit

USA
Reply #4 - Feb 12th, 2008 at 7:36pm

Sakina - all you have to do is put all of your hair in a ponytail and take a tape measure and measure the circumference. Smiley

SL/CBL/CL
3a-b/m-c/iii
kaseys_mom06  
IP Logged

waiting4longlocks
Emerald

;)

Reply #5 - Feb 20th, 2008 at 12:31am

I measured mine at about 6 inches but when it is curly... might be much less with straight hair.

Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic.  ~Rosalind Russell&&&&&&...&&&&&&

IP Logged

Drear
Diamond

1aCii

Denmark
Reply #6 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 4:08am

My strands are very thick but seriously lacks in density on my scalp.  There are women with a full head of many fine hairs who will have a larger diameter when they put their hair in a ponytail than me.  In 7th grade we all pulled a hair out of our heads and put it under a stetoscope (or whatever it's called) and mine was the thickest. 

Hairdressers spend less time trimming my hair when I have layers and graduated ends than when it's all one length and they have to cut a straight line Grin  Ten years ago I sat in a salon chair for the better part of an hour while a frustrated hairdresser tried to trim ½" off the bottom Roll Eyes

Besides insisting on movement, texture, and blah, blah, blah.....I also think this is part of the reason why most hairdressers will insist that I need whispy ends Sad

Right now that it's still a bob length, it's a good thing that the ends fold under themselves because when my hair is wet and hangs straight, it's so clear that the ends aren't straight.

IP Logged

Drear
Diamond

1aCii

Denmark
Reply #7 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 9:59am

I just lurked on the curly board and found the recommendation for the FIA hair typing system and I guess my hair besides being stick straight and coarse is actually of normal volume.  I could pull 2" into a ponytail but I don't know how to adjust for the graduated sides and bangs, without them I could possibly get more into a ponytail. 

My dad always used to complain that I shed too much hair but I think I actually shed less than most people, my hair was just more visible.  So my dad told me to get my hair cut.  But shorter hair sheds more according to some experts.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print