Susan's Closet
LongLocks Collectors Club
Index of Hair Care Articles
Testimonials
Free Newsletter

L'Etoile Perdue by William Bouguereau

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What type comb is best? (Read 13160 times)
decamama
Amethyst

LongLocks Rocks!

Wisconsin, USA
What type comb is best?
Oct 13th, 2008 at 1:26am

Hello, I am new to the board, and this is my first post. I wondered if you could tell me which type of comb I should look for to best use on my hair.  My hair is about chest length currently, but it is rather damaged and I may have to cut it to make it healthier. I would love to grow my hair as long as possible. I have recently purchased a boar bristle brush, but I wondered if I need a very good comb as well. If so, what kind? Thanks!

IP Logged

SeaWitch
Amethyst

O, so many hairsticks,
so little time!

US Navy
Re: What type comb is best?
Reply #1 - Oct 13th, 2008 at 1:29am

I use two Goody big-toothed combs on my hair.  One is anti-static for dry combing, and the other is just a regular comb for when my hair is wet.

My mother, a stylist, always wants to "do something" with my hair.  It's so nice and long because I won't let her. Tongue

IP Logged

Jilayne75
Emerald

Type 2a-b/C/iii...waiting
for longlocks!

Reply #2 - Oct 13th, 2008 at 10:25am

Welcome to Longlocks! I hope you enjoy the forum! Smiley

I have two combs, one goody and another one whos brand I am not really sure of. The goody comb is a wide tooth comb, I use it for brushing my hair out or if I *must* combing it out when wet. I bought it at wal-mart for cheap, and I really like it. The second one is a  much closer toothed  comb, and I use it for when I am styling it, eg. putting it into a ponytail or a half pony so that no bumps appear. They both work fairly well. I dont use any seamless combs, which are better for your hair, but i'm sure that the other ladies and gents will help you with that! Hope I helped!

-Jilayne Smiley

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring..."
J J  
IP Logged

Curlgirl64
Stardust

Practice Yoga,give and
receive Reiki

Brooklyn,N.Y.
Reply #3 - Oct 13th, 2008 at 3:03pm

You might try a wide tooth seamless comb.  Conair puts one out as do others.  As for dry combing(only when necessary!) I have a wooden comb made by Ric,the Combmaker.  His combs are handmade by him and well worth the money.  His site is www.combmaker.com
Hope that helps!

Curlgirl64
Head Board Moderator
LongLocks HairSticks Boutique
http://www.longlocks.com
WWW Curlgirl64  
IP Logged

decamama
Amethyst

LongLocks Rocks!

Wisconsin, USA
Reply #4 - Oct 13th, 2008 at 3:11pm

So which is to be avoided unless absolutely necessary? Combing wet hair, or combing dry hair?

Thanks for the comb tips, it's very helpful and will give me an idea what to look for!

IP Logged

Angel Spun
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 13th, 2008 at 3:59pm

Hi & welcome, Decamama. Hope you like it here.  Smiley

Wide tooth seamless combs are best and are made in a variety of materials from acrylic to bone. They cost quite a bit more than the cheap, plastic combs that you would find in chain stores, but are a worthy investment because they're safer for your hair.

Plastic combs (as made by Goody, etc.) have seams that can damage the hair & scalp and are not recommended. Seamless combs are exactly what they sound like - cut from a solid piece of material, thus having no damaging seams.

Try doing a Google search on seamless combs - there are many different brands & types. I actually own a seamless, acrylic, wide tooth comb by Conair (which are unfortunately no longer made) and 2 seamless cellulose combs made by Creative. I've heard that Kent makes decent seamless combs as well.

Other ladies on this site use seamless combs made of bone and wood. They could certainly tell you more about them than I could.  Wink

As for dry/wet combing, you can do either one if your hair is ok with it. My hair is extremely fine & doesn't like to be combed when it's wet, so I wait until it's totally dry.
   What you must absolutely avoid is brushing while hair is wet. That's a major no-no.

Anyway, it's lovely to meet you.  Smiley

IP Logged

decamama
Amethyst

LongLocks Rocks!

Wisconsin, USA
Reply #6 - Oct 13th, 2008 at 4:04pm

AngelSpun, thanks for the helpful advice.  I just love your byline, "carpe noctum"! Too funny, with that Nightmare Before Christmas pic.

IP Logged

Jilayne75
Emerald

Type 2a-b/C/iii...waiting
for longlocks!

Reply #7 - Oct 13th, 2008 at 4:20pm

Hello again,  Grin

I'm not trying to take over the post, but where can you buy seamless combs other than on the internet? At what stores can you buy them?

-Jilayne

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring..."
J J  
IP Logged

Angel Spun
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Oct 13th, 2008 at 6:33pm

Decamama: No problem at all. And thanks.  Wink

Jilayne: At the moment, I have no clue. I've bought almost everything I own online.  Grin  But my Conair seamless comb(s) were a random, lucky find at Target. They didn't carry them for very long.  Sad

IP Logged

bikerbraid
Shooting Star

Life is short, Break the
rules

Bike Paths of the Midwest
Reply #9 - Oct 14th, 2008 at 5:00pm

I recently noticed seamless combs at Target - I believe they were Conair brand - they looked very nice and reasonably priced.

Personally I have 2 bone combs and 2 wooden combs (from Ric).  They are my favored and only combs at this time.

bikerbraid
Global Salon Moderator
LongLocks HairSticks Boutique
http://www.longlocks.com
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.&&Life may not
WWW Bikerbraid  
IP Logged

callisto
Sapphire

Curly hair is crazy and
utterly beautiful

Reply #10 - Oct 29th, 2008 at 7:41pm

I have curly hair, so I cannot do ANYTHING with my hair when it is dry, unless I am going to braid/bun it.  If your hair is straight, you can comb it wet or dry.  I think a lot of people don't brush their hair with anything other than a BBB because it can damage the hair.

Type 3bN-C(underneath)iii&&As daylight melted into shade&&A wandering music sweetly made&&Enchanted fluting, warbling wild&&For love of Thingol's elven child

IP Logged

Saahira
Amethyst

LongLocks Rocks!

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #11 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 11:04am

I swear by my wooden combs.  They are anti-static, prevent those damaging fly-aways, and are extremely gentle.

IP Logged

Isabelle
Diamond

A womens hair is her life
:)

Southern Ontario, Canada
Reply #12 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 12:49pm

I am another curly and I only use a comb in the shower when putting in conditioner.  I use a large tooth plastic shower comb.  Otherwise like Callisto said can't do a thing with it when its dry. Smiley

IP Logged

Enna
Ruby

CALIFORNIA
Reply #13 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 7:37pm

Received my wooden comb from Ric today. Smiley Just need to oil it up and go for it. Tho I must admit I have tried it out a bit. Very smooth and light weight. I also have two Goody wide tooth combs (plastic) that I've had for several years, never noticed any damage from them. I usually finger comb prior to using any other combs, taking my time and being very gentle to as avoid damage.

When I remember how we all yanked combs through our hair in high school (in the 70's) it makes me cringe.  EmbarrassedI lived in the high desert where it was very windy every day so you can imagine the beginning of each class with all of us combing furiously! Roll Eyes

...and I shall wear purple.
1a/F/ii

IP Logged

Godyssey
Stardust

Georgia
Reply #14 - Jan 21st, 2009 at 4:58pm

Quote:
When I remember how we all yanked combs through our hair in high school (in the 70's) it makes me cringe.

OMG...me too. I did so many things to my hair in the past that make me cringe at just the thought of it.

I have very fragile hair and only use seamless combs.  They're fine for me, but now I'm really curious about the Ric comb. Huh

Healthy Hair Is My Priority...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print