I NEED HELP ??? (Read 4356 times)
denisem
Amethyst

live to ride....ride to
live!

Pennsylvania
I NEED HELP ???
Dec 11th, 2008 at 7:41pm

Hey all. This might be kinda long...sorry in advance. Ok, i get conflicting advice from friends and such on how to remove split ends. What I have been doing is I take sections of hair twist it one way, cut off with hair shears the little strays that poke out from the rope like strand I twisted, go back and twist it again only in the opposite direction. I've been told by a friend and a co-worker of mine that my method isn't enough and I'm really not removing anything split. I was told to take dry hair put it in two seperate braids one on each side of my head and trim ends that poke out of the braid. But the few ends that poke out sometimes from braids are kinda thick pieces? I don't think I'm suppossed to cut them off? It would look like I cut small chunks out of my hair?  Is this right?  I honestly don't know. I had my hair botched twice so I do not go to a salon anymore, haven't been to one in over a year. Quite frankly I don't trust stylists anymore. But I need to know the right and safe way to rid myself of my splits. Thank goddness my hair is not bad, I just want to remove those dead ends without removing length. What do you all do ? ? ?      Thanks!!!!

I love my mule!

IP Logged

Curlgirl64
Stardust

Practice Yoga,give and
receive Reiki

Brooklyn,N.Y.
Re: I NEED HELP ???
Reply #1 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 5:15am

Ok, this is what I do.....I sit near a window with bright light and take a sharp pair of scissors,used only for hair trimming,and snip off the split ends from small sections of hair.  I try to do this either once a month or twice a month.
Sorry to hear about your bad dealings with stylists.  I'm sure there are good ones out there,but you have to really look hard for someone who will listen to what  you want and that you trust.  Good luck!

Curlgirl64
Head Board Moderator
LongLocks HairSticks Boutique
http://www.longlocks.com
WWW Curlgirl64  
IP Logged

bikerbraid
Shooting Star

Life is short, Break the
rules

Bike Paths of the Midwest
Reply #2 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 9:04am

Both methods "work", but both should be done cautiously.  You only need to trim the hair that needs trimming; in other words, if you see that it is split or has a kink or white dot, THEN you trim it off.

Make sure you are using a good sharp scissor and have good lighting so you can see what you are doing. 

Many of us have given up on salons and stylists and maintain our hair ourselves.  Trimming or dusting as some call it, is good maintenance to prevent more damage to the hair, especially as it get longer and longer and is older and more prone to damage.

bikerbraid
Global Salon Moderator
LongLocks HairSticks Boutique
http://www.longlocks.com
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.&&Life may not
WWW Bikerbraid  
IP Logged

denisem
Amethyst

live to ride....ride to
live!

Pennsylvania
Reply #3 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 10:58am

Thank you. I bought a pair of hair scissors at a sallys store paid 40.00 bucks for it, and its still razor sharp after a year. I snipped off some splits last night, how often should I do it?  I wish I could do my length but too scared I will mess it up.

I love my mule!

IP Logged

Curlgirl64
Stardust

Practice Yoga,give and
receive Reiki

Brooklyn,N.Y.
Reply #4 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 2:15pm

Very diligent is probably every week.

Curlgirl64
Head Board Moderator