L'Etoile Perdue by William Bouguereau

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Shampoos (Read 11188 times)
bluenehifreak
Ex Member

Shampoos
Dec 29th, 2008 at 3:38pm

Hello everyone! I'm new here...just joined today. My question is...whats your opinion on shampoos? I was reading around ..not on here, but other forums...where alot of people are saying that there are good and bad shampoos for your hair. That some of the ingredients in certain shampoos actually damage your hair and stuff like that. One website even went so far as to say that all shampoos are bad for your hair and you should use soap lol. Bikerbraid shared her opinion and said it depends on your scalp and lifestyle. Sounds good to me. I use to use Vidal Sassoon and that was WONDERFUL for my hair...anyone know if they've changed the formula since the whole thing blew up and isnt sold in America anymore? Sorry so long...thanks for all input though! Grin

IP Logged

bikerbraid
Shooting Star

Life is short, Break the
rules

Bike Paths of the Midwest
Re: Shampoos
Reply #1 - Dec 29th, 2008 at 8:57pm

Welcome!  Glad you decided to join in.  I don't know what happened to Vidal Sassoon, I used it many, many years ago and liked it, but I also had short hair then!

bikerbraid
Global Salon Moderator
LongLocks HairSticks Boutique
http://www.longlocks.com
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.&&Life may not
WWW Bikerbraid  
IP Logged

bluenehifreak
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Dec 29th, 2008 at 10:18pm

Well...I didn't read the whole article about it. Something about Procter and Gamble messing things up and Mr. Sassoon wasnt happy about it and it was a big ol fight and mess. Here's the article if you'd like to read it..

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/retail/2003-07-07-vidal_x.htm

I had waist length hair when I used it.

IP Logged

bikerbraid
Shooting Star

Life is short, Break the
rules

Reply #3 - Dec 29th, 2008 at 10:32pm

Interesting article - thanks for posting it.

bikerbraid
Global Salon Moderator
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.&&Life may not
WWW Bikerbraid  
IP Logged

bluenehifreak
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 29th, 2008 at 10:41pm

Isn't it though? You're welcome!

IP Logged

Drear
Diamond

1aCii

Denmark
Reply #5 - Dec 30th, 2008 at 7:44am

Hi and welcome!  You have really enviable hair!  I'd completely forgotten that brand.  Also, one's needs can change throughout a year.  I'm finding that my shampooing needs are less during the winter but I need oilier kinds.  I only wash my scalp.  I wouldn't even know how to wash my hair.  I know that sounds ironic. Embarrassed

IP Logged

bluenehifreak
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Dec 30th, 2008 at 9:40am

Oh hehe I see. Ah well..no biggie. I've heard others say it too. Thanks for the comment about my hair. I actually straighten it alot cuz I think it looks crappy if I don't. It gets all weird..makes me think I look like a bed head or something lol. I actually haven't straightened it in a week or so though...ever since I read the Ultimate Guide to Growing Long Hair on here lol. Glad I went back to the boar bristle brush, feels soo good lol  Grin

IP Logged

Midnight Angel
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Dec 30th, 2008 at 3:59pm

Shampoos with harsh ingredients should be avoided since they can dry the heck out of hair. The major ones to look out for are ammonium lauryl sulfate, sodium lauryl sulfate and ammonium laureth sulfate.

Soap was phased out decades ago because of the residue it leaves on everything. Certainly not recommended for hair.

Personally, I use shampoo every single day without any problem. Anyone who wants to preach about how "harmful" shampoo is can stuff it IMO. Their hair is probably gross anyway. Grin

IP Logged

bluenehifreak
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Dec 30th, 2008 at 4:11pm

lol I like your answers. I agree about soap...I try not to use it at all. I even buy Aveeno products..body wash and all that contains no soap just for that reason. Bleh, I hate looking at ingredients. I'm using Herbal Essences and it seems to do pretty and I love the way it smells so yeah

IP Logged

Sakina
Stardust

August 2O1O @ the Louvre

Arizona
Reply #9 - Dec 31st, 2008 at 6:33pm

Hi, bluenehifreak, and welcome to LongLocks.  I use low or non sudsing shampoos for curly hair.  The stuff off the shelf is too drying for my scalp.  The only soap I think could possibly be used as a shampoo is castille soap, however I expect it would be drying.

I hope you find another shampoo your hair loves, and that smells good too.

Sakina
Salon Board Moderator
Healthy hair is beautiful no matter what length it is.
IP Logged

Drear
Diamond

1aCii

Denmark
Reply #10 - Jan 1st, 2009 at 8:38am

Quote:
I actually straighten it alot cuz I think it looks crappy if I don't. It gets all weird..makes me think I look like a bed head or something lol. I actually haven't straightened it in a week or so though...ever since I read the Ultimate Guide to Growing Long Hair on here lol. Glad I went back to the boar bristle brush, feels soo good lol  Grin

I wish my hair did something a little less predictable and more exciting than just hang there.  I think many women straighten their hair because they aren't encouraged to embrace their natural texture and don't get good enough advice on how to make the best of their natural texture (s - I realize some have more than one texture on their head) to flatter their features and make it manageable. 

My shampoo has sodium laureth sulfate in it.  However, it's the only shampoo I can afford that seems compatible with my hair, Gliss Oil Nutrive (yellow). 

I had a shampoo that didn't sud but I didn't like the feel of it neither while washing or afterwards when having used a conditioner of the same Urtekram brand.  They're supposedly as organic as it gets and perhaps that's just what I need to get used to.

When I run out of shampoo I'll both replace the Gliss Oil Nutrive Shampoo and buy an Urtekram shampoo to see if I feel any difference.  I'd like to replace all products that go on my skin or hair to organic ones.

Urtekram writes that their products contain no parabens, petro chemicals, alcohol, synthetic fragrances or any other harmful, environmental or hormone disturbing ingredients - roughly translated by me. Cheesy

IP Logged

bluenehifreak
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jan 1st, 2009 at 1:35pm

lol yeah I understand. Thats part of why I love Aveeno. I even emailed them and asked them if they ever thought abut making shampoos or anything like that cuz  I would so buy them...but of course...they never would answer or give a hint lol

IP Logged

bluenehifreak
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jan 6th, 2009 at 10:19pm

Is it a normal thing when you have long hair you lose it while washing and brushing and all? I've always heard that it was and never seemed to lose much when I had short hair...or..I just didnt notice it since it wasn't long. But, I swear..every time I take a shower and wash it...I end up with my hair all over my hands ...grrr lol...even stops up the bathtub sometimes...have to use a hairstopper.

IP Logged

bikerbraid
Shooting Star

Life is short, Break the
rules

Reply #13 - Jan 7th, 2009 at 6:58am

Yes, it is normal to lose hair when shampooing.  The massaging of the scalp loosens the hair that is ready to shed.  Make sure you are not being too aggressive with your hair in the shower.  You shouldn't pile it all on top and scrub; leave it down and work the shampoo into the scalp area with your finger pads very gently.  The less you move your hair around, the less you will shed.

bikerbraid
Global Salon Moderator
WWW Bikerbraid  
IP Logged

bluenehifreak
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jan 7th, 2009 at 1:58pm

Oh, weird. Well, I dont think I do it gently...I think it feels better if you massage it more if that makes sense. I don't pile my hair up on my head anymore since you said it wasn't good to do so. Iono...it just sucks. Its so very annoying lol. Im always shedding when my hair is wet and now my husband thinks that I need to cut my hair to about shoulder length to make it look better. Last lady I had cut and style my hair thinned it out too much with the razor...grr. I figured I'd just wait and let it grow out on its  own...but he hates it lol

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print