Susan's Closet
LongLocks Collectors Club
Index of Hair Care Articles
Testimonials
Free Newsletter

L'Etoile Perdue by William Bouguereau

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
African Butterfly Hairclips (Read 7419 times)
vbear
Ex Member

African Butterfly Hairclips
Jan 9th, 2009 at 7:52am

Has anyone tried these clips?  I have and they are wonderful.  They hold up all of my hair all day with no pain or headaches.  They really do work!!  My hair is thick and waist length and I can do any style that I want.  Check out www.vickisafricanbutterfly.com.

IP Logged

Sakina
Stardust

August 2O1O @ the Louvre

Arizona
Re: African Butterfly Hairclips
Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 4:30pm

I have some similar combs, but I had never seen these before.  They sure have a lot of different decorations.

Sakina
Salon Board Moderator
LongLocks HairSticks Boutique
http://www.longlocks.com
Healthy hair is beautiful no matter what length it is.
IP Logged

fla bear
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 5:07pm

I REALLY LIKE THEM!!! Smiley  I was a little skeptical at first because of the price, but when I bought my first one I quickly realized that it is worth the money.  I wore that one, day and night for a year and I still wear it today.  You can even sleep in them.  I like to sleep in mine because it keeps my hair tangle free during the night and I can't even tell that I am wearing it.  I haven't had anything in my hair since I found these.

IP Logged

bikerbraid
Shooting Star

Life is short, Break the
rules

Bike Paths of the Midwest
Reply #3 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 5:07pm

I have a similar design that I picked up at a craft fair.  I loved mine (until it broke - for some reason it did not survive being driven over  Roll Eyes ).  Thanks for the link.

bikerbraid
Global Salon Moderator
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.&&Life may not
WWW Bikerbraid  
IP Logged

Drear
Diamond

1aCii

Denmark
Reply #4 - Jan 10th, 2009 at 1:18pm

Like a variation on the combs I have except there's something holding them together. Smiley  They look nice but will the string cut one's hair eventually?  I've seen them occasionally in shops but passed up on them because I assumed they were too complicated and that they'd be tight and my hair would get tangled.  

I just entered 'african butterfly clip' on youtube:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFZopRfFuoQ  Her haircut appears similar to mine.  There are several tutorials.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NMkB_0fN-s&feature=related  

I hope I won't be accused of hi-jacking the thread. Embarrassed

IP Logged

fla bear
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 10th, 2009 at 1:43pm

They do not damage your hair at all, in fact I think they have helped with my hair being so healthy.  They are so simple to use and you can have  your hair as loose or as tight as you want.  My hair happens to be to my waist, however they will work in short, long, straight, curly, thick or thin.  If you have or like to pull your hair back for any reason, you should definitely try one.  I did and now will not use anything else.  Smiley

IP Logged

Curlgirl64
Stardust

Practice Yoga,give and
receive Reiki

Brooklyn,N.Y.
Reply #6 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 9:16am

I've seen them and bought them from QVC.  They went by another name though.  They had different acryllic beads instead of the wooden beads shown on youtube.

Curlgirl64
Head Board Moderator
WWW Curlgirl64  
IP Logged

fla bear
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 5:47pm

Those are very similiar to the African Butterfly but not the same.  The African Butterfly is more durable than those.  I had trouble with those staying in my hair.  How do you like the one that you got?  Does it work like they said it would?

IP Logged

Isabelle
Diamond

A womens hair is her life
:)

Southern Ontario, Canada
Reply #8 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 7:27pm

These are really cool!  I would love to try and make one.. Smiley

IP Logged

Nanzi
Amethyst

LongLocks Rocks!

Delaware, on Md border
Reply #9 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 2:20pm

How fun those look!!  Are the beads strung on wire?? or on elastic that gives, and holds the hair?  They don't look like they would be too hard to make. If it's elastic that might be hard to anchor on the combs, hmmmm, might need some glue of some kind .
They look great tho.

IP Logged

bikerbraid
Shooting Star

Life is short, Break the
rules

Bike Paths of the Midwest
Reply #10 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 3:04pm

I believe the beads are on an elastic strand. 

I have a similar hair toy - the elastic strands were tied around/through the comb, then hot glue was used to set the knot and secure it better to the comb.  If you are a crafty person, this should be an easy project!.

bikerbraid
Global Salon Moderator
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.&&Life may not
WWW Bikerbraid  
IP Logged

dj
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 3:43am

I love the look of these but cant afford to buy one at this stage...if I come into some money I will definately invest in one, they look really pretty.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print