Send Topic Print
Hi Everyone! (Read 10877 times)
Saahira
Amethyst

LongLocks Rocks!

San Antonio, Texas
Hi Everyone!
Jan 16th, 2009 at 11:50am

I've been lurking here for a couple of days now and decided to join.  I love your inspring stories and photos, as well as all the great advice on hair care.  

About Me:  I'm 51 years old, married with two grown sons and one brand new grandson, and I am proud to be owned by two very spoiled miniature pinschers.  I've had long hair since I was a kid, but it was always more a question of not cutting it than actively growing it.  Now I've decided to actively grow it, hence my recent lurking in places like this.

I've got naturally blonde hair, sort of a darker blonde now that I'm getting older.  I have been blessed/cursed with naturally curly hair.  Or rather, it curls fairly tight after washing, and then relaxes into waves that continue relaxing until I wash it again.  Someone once told me that I have 'faerie princess hair" because of the color and curl.  I consider that one of the nicest compliments I've ever received.

In an effort to eliminate my frizzies which have plagued me since childhood, I put a charcoal filter on my showerhead just before Christmas last year.  That alone made a huge difference.  I immediately noticed less frizz and MUCH less hair loss!  I added to that by switching to only organic shampoos and conditioners, which also helped.  Finally, I bought myself a wooden comb which, in my case, has completely eliminated all static and fly-aways.  I CANNOT RECOMMEND WOODEN COMBS ENOUGH!!!  They are much more gentle on hair and also help eliminate split ends.  I was so impressed with my accomplishments that I decided to start really trying to grow my hair longer.  And so here I am.

Starting out in my new hair growth goals, my hair is about 25.5 or 26 inches long, or bra strap length on that chart I found in one of your posts.  My goal is the 'classic' length to the bottom of my backside, I just hope my hair cooperates.  I have already started incorporating some of your great advice, like the oiling, and daily brushing, into my hair routine.

Please forgive me for not adding avatars and smiles and all the bells and whistles, I have no savvy when it comes to such things.  I'm hoping I'll eventually figure out how to at least post a picture of my hair so I can share it with you.

I will save my questions for separate posts in other sections, and just keep this as a straight introduction.

Thanks,
Saahira

IP Logged

bikerbraid
Shooting Star

Life is short, Break the
rules

Bike Paths of the Midwest
Re: Hi Everyone!
Reply #1 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 12:36pm

Welcome to LongLocks!  Your hair sounds lovely.  I'd love to see a picture of it if you ever have the opportunity to have a digital picture taken.  (We can help you with getting it posted if you need). 

It sounds like you've already got a great background in growing/maintaining beautiful long hair - keep up the good work and don't forget to share your tips with us!  Wink

bikerbraid
Global Salon Moderator
LongLocks HairSticks Boutique
http://www.longlocks.com
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.&&Life may not
WWW Bikerbraid  
IP Logged

Sakina
Stardust

August 2O1O @ the Louvre

Arizona
Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 12:55pm

Welcome to LongLocks, Saahira!  I'd also love to see a pic of your hair!!  Sounds like you're well on your way to your goal!

Sakina
Salon Board Moderator
Healthy hair is beautiful no matter what length it is.
IP Logged

LittleLuc
Sapphire

wishing I had Long Locks....

Phoenix
Reply #3 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 2:48pm

Welcome!

Can't wait to see pics either.
Smiley

2aNii&&

IP Logged

Skyfire
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 4:55pm

Welcome!  Smiley

IP Logged

Jilayne75
Emerald

Type 2a-b/C/iii...waiting
for longlocks!

Reply #5 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 9:41pm

hello and welcome, saahira!  Smiley

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring..."
J J  
IP Logged

ForeverFay
Ruby

I may be the spastic one.

The South
Reply #6 - Jan 17th, 2009 at 12:45am

Welcome!

And let me be the second(or third) to say"I wanna see!!I wanna see!!"

Cheesy
I would love to be told I have fairy princess hair.
~Ace

Just be yourself...and twelve other people.&&&&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

Curlgirl64
Stardust

Practice Yoga,give and
receive Reiki

Brooklyn,N.Y.
Reply #7 - Jan 17th, 2009 at 8:15pm

Welcome,Saahira!  It's nice to have you aboard.  I look forward to reading about your journey to longer hair!  Any questions,comments, and/or adivce,please don't hesitate to "chime in"! Smiley

Curlgirl64
Head Board Moderator
WWW Curlgirl64  
IP Logged

Enna
Ruby

CALIFORNIA
Reply #8 - Jan 17th, 2009 at 9:18pm

Welcome Saahira!

You'll find this a great site with wonderful people. Smiley

It's always nice to see another "mature" (over 50) woman who has not bought into the - "You're too old for long hair" mantra that seems to be out there.

...and I shall wear purple.
1a/F/ii

IP Logged

Midnight Angel
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jan 19th, 2009 at 2:46am

Wow, I must have read this 3 times and never replied. Embarrassed Anyway, belated but sincere greetings to you, Saahira. Your hair does sound lovely. Smiley

IP Logged

Isabelle
Diamond

A womens hair is her life
:)

Southern Ontario, Canada
Reply #10 - Jan 19th, 2009 at 7:11am

Welcome! Smiley

IP Logged

Trisha
Stardust

Missouri
Reply #11 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 10:16am

Welcome, from another mature (47) lady.   Cool

pjsander  
IP Logged

Saahira
Amethyst

LongLocks Rocks!

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #12 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 10:46am

Thank you to everyone, and especially to Enna and Trisha and any other of you ladies who have been told you're too old for long hair.  My goodness, I've been hearing that and disregarding it since I was in my mid-twenties!  It's especially bad in my office environment where "helmet heads" is the female hair style of choice (I'm sure you know the style I mean) --- boy do I stand out like a sore thumb LOL!  My dream since I was a little kid was to be an old lady with a long white braid dangling down my back.  I'm running out of time to make that happen!

Thanks for making me feel welcome.  I'll work on that picture    Smiley

IP Logged

Isabelle
Diamond

A womens hair is her life
:)

Southern Ontario, Canada
Reply #13 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 12:45pm

Grin I am going to be 42 next month! Smiley

IP Logged

Melusine
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Apr 17th, 2009 at 2:31am

Hi, I just joined today and read your post.  I am 58 and started growing my hair out 3 yrs ago after years of short perms.  For the first time in my life, I really love my hair.  Welcome.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print