Send Topic Print
Question About Bangs (Read 4220 times)
Saahira
Amethyst

LongLocks Rocks!

San Antonio, Texas
Question About Bangs
Jan 16th, 2009 at 2:49pm

On another post here, someone mentioned that having bangs slows down hair growth and limits thickness.  That to grow very long hair you need to let it all grow out to one length, and that means no bangs.  I'm really curious about this.

I did read the same thing on one other website for long hair.  But I looked around, I did web searches on the subject, and I cannot for the life of me verify this piece of information anywhere else.  To me it just sounds rather improbable.

So I'm just curious if this thing about bangs is true, or if maybe it's just an old wives tale.  Anybody know?

IP Logged

Sakina
Stardust

August 2O1O @ the Louvre

Arizona
Re: Question About Bangs
Reply #1 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 4:17pm

Hmmm.  I don't think its particularly logical that having bangs would effect the growth rate.  I sure hope its not true since I had a d'oh moment recently and got bangs cut in.  Now I'm growing them out again.

Next time I get my pedicure I'll try to remember to ask the stylist there.

Sakina
Salon Board Moderator
LongLocks HairSticks Boutique
http://www.longlocks.com
Healthy hair is beautiful no matter what length it is.
IP Logged

Skyfire
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 4:29pm

Having bangs won't effect yr overall growth rate, but it might reduce the thickness of yr braid simply by not fitting into it.  Some people look better with bangs, but they can grow the rest of their hair long; my friend from college wears bangs because her forehead is quite tall, but the rest of her hair is waist length.

IP Logged

Midnight Angel
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 11:20pm

Bangs have absolutely no effect on hair's thickness or growth rate. Obviously, if you have bangs, you'll have less long hair to put into a braid.

IP Logged

Saahira
Amethyst

LongLocks Rocks!

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #4 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 10:07am

Honestly, I didn't think bangs would effect the growth and thickness either.  The theory I read was that nature loves balance, and that your hair must also be balanced and all one length in order to reach its full potential.  Well, it sort of makes sense from a holistic viewpoint, I suppose ... but scientifically, not so much.

Thank you for your opinions.  I really did NOT want to have to grow my bangs out!

IP Logged

Blondie35
Sapphire

LongLocks Rocks!

Reply #5 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 8:20pm

Yeah, that is an old wise tale.  I've had bangs with my long hair all of my life, and it has never effected my my hair growth rate, and I used to have mid back length hair.

Blondie35

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print