Susan's Closet
LongLocks Collectors Club
Index of Hair Care Articles
Testimonials
Free Newsletter

L'Etoile Perdue by William Bouguereau

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What's your favourite brush? (Read 4427 times)
Elfdaughter
Amethyst

Almost 1/2 way to goal!

York, UK
What's your favourite brush?
Mar 9th, 2009 at 11:08am

I was just wondering what you use to brush your hair.  Do you have a favourite brush?  Do you use a comb, or do you use fingers?  This isn't an advice thread, this is just a general curiosity thread.

I bough a pure boar-bristle brush a while ago, and have been using that, but it never seemed to do my hair any good.    It never gave my hair enough shine, it didn't give it the softness it used to have... I began lamenting the loss of my old hair brush.... which I rediscovered lurking in the bottom of one of my suitcases this afternoon!  Gave it a good clean, and tried it out - what a difference. 

I've had this brush for as long as I can remember - I can remember my mum brushing my hair with it, it's that old!  It's a Mason and Pearson, (that goes to show how old it is - before they changed their name to just 'Mason Pearson'!!) nylon and boar bristle padded brush.  See, although boar bristle only is supposed to be used on fine hair like mine, I have so MUCH fine hair, that I need the nylon to help de-tangle.  After brushing with the M+P, my hair is softer, smoother and sleeker than with the boar bristle one alone.   Not bad for a brush that's at least 12 years old...

I met a lady in the meads &&Full beautiful, a faery's child; &&Her hair was long, her foot was light,&&And her eyes were wild.

IP Logged

Skyfire
Ex Member

Re: What's your favourite brush?
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 12:00pm

I tend to finger-comb my hair when it's wet, then use a wide-tooth wooden comb when it's dry.  Sometimes I use my old plastic cushion brush, though I know I shouldn't.  My boar bristle brush has densely packed bristles, so I don't use it much anymore.  I want to get a different one, but I can't justify the expense right now when I have stuff I can use.

IP Logged

waiting4longlocks
Emerald

;)

Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 2:53pm

Mason-Pearson's and Denmans!!  Smiley

Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic.  ~Rosalind Russell&&&&&&...&&&&&&

IP Logged

Midnight Angel
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 3:58pm

Years ago, I used to be fond of Conair Velvet Touch brushes. I had a full sized oval-shaped one and a purse brush that I used on my hair when it was dry.

But I've since given up brushes in favour of seamless combs. My 2 Creative rake combs are the new faves.

IP Logged

Drear
Diamond

1aCii

Denmark
Reply #4 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 4:59pm

I used to prefer simple, plain rake combs.  I have a paddle brush with round tipped plastic bristles but it's a cheap one and it looks and feels cheap but I suppose it does the job.  

Next time I'm in a beauty supply shop I'll look for a wooden one with wooden round tipped bristles.  Some ladies swear by them.

IP Logged

Jilayne75
Emerald

Type 2a-b/C/iii...waiting
for longlocks!

Reply #5 - Mar 10th, 2009 at 6:34pm

I have 2 combs and one brush. My one brush is a BBB (goody, I think, but I could be wrong), and I use that  for when my hair gets all poofy because it tones it down a great deal. When I am trying to style my hair neatly I use my thin toothed-comb and when I'm just trying to get tangles out I use my  wide tooth comb. I don't really have a favourite.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring..."
J J  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print