Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Are sulfates bad? (Read 6986 times)
christina
Amethyst

LongLocks Rocks!

Are sulfates bad?
May 17th, 2009 at 9:34am

I have been told that sulfates are what make my shampoo lather up and that they are bad.  Is this true?  my hair is in pretty bad shape right now so I am trying to figure out how to take good care of it.  It is quite weak and fried due to repeated bad coloring jobs.
Thanks, Christina

IP Logged

Isabelle
Diamond

A womens hair is her life
:)

Southern Ontario, Canada
Re: Are sulfates bad?
Reply #1 - May 17th, 2009 at 10:12am

Hi Chirstina nice to meet you Smiley

Yes sulfates are very damaging to your hair. They over wash and strip your hair.  When I started here (about 5 years ago)  My hair was colored and damaged as well.  I swtiched to a sulfate/phosphate free shampoo and a good orgainic conditoner.  Oiling my hair alot helped with the damage as well as trims.

Good luck! Smiley

IP Logged

Skyfire
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 17th, 2009 at 2:34pm

I switched to a no sulfate shampoo early this year.  My scalp had always been itchy, no matter what sort of shampoo I'd used, but when I switched to no sulfate, it was no longer itcy.  When I decided to try a sulfate shampoo again, my scalp actually felt like it was burning.

Sulfates are bad.  Some people use them and are okay, but they're not for me!

IP Logged

Sakina
Stardust

August 2O1O @ the Louvre

Arizona
Reply #3 - May 17th, 2009 at 8:47pm

The DevaCurl No Poo is sulfate free and so is the low sudsing shampoo Lo Poo.  Whole Foods carries Alaffia, which is sulfate free but lathers up well and they make a poo for curlies.

Sakina
Salon Board Moderator
LongLocks HairSticks Boutique
http://www.longlocks.com
Healthy hair is beautiful no matter what length it is.
IP Logged

Midnight Angel
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 18th, 2009 at 1:37am

It depends on the person.

People with severe dryness, irritations or allergies to sulfates shouldn't use them. For most, it's strictly a matter of preference. I personally have used them for the better part of 30 years without any problem. My sister has a different hair and skin type, and also colors her hair regularly, and she prefers sulfate-free shampoo. So it varies, obviously. Everyone reacts differently.

As to whether or not they're "bad," you should check your sources. Anytime someone denounces a product or ingredient it is usually from negative personal experiences, which may not be the same experience that you would have.
    Also, salons will often generate negative rumors about ingredients in drugstore brand shampoos so people will buy the expensive salon products instead. They're just trying to make money like everyone else. It's hype.

Your best bet would be to try quality shampoos - one with sulfates, one without - and decide what you like best. HTH

IP Logged

Tanai
Emerald

Honey blonde 20"/31/33"
1c/C/iii

Wherever it is I need to be to do whatever it is I'm doing.
Reply #5 - May 18th, 2009 at 1:55pm

I switched to sulfate free natural formulas a few years ago because I heard they were bad for hair and your health. (Not sure what specifically.) However I've recently switched back because my hair absolutely hates natural hair products.  Roll Eyes It's really best to compare one with and one without like Angel said. It's the only way you'll really know if it's a problem or not.

IP Logged

YesitsReal
Ruby

LongLocks Rocks!

Reply #6 - May 18th, 2009 at 11:42pm

Christina,

I use a sulfate-free shampoo, and it lathers up just fine.  Since I've switched to no sulfates, my hair has gotten very soft and silky.  Of course, I started oiling at about that time, too, so it may be that.   Wink

Skyfire,

You mentioned that your scalp is itchy--do you have dandruff/seborrheic dermatitis?  I've read that sulfates irritate this condition, but my scalp seems to be itchy and uncomfortable whether I use sulfates or not. 

In a side note: does anyone know of a good remedy for seborrheic dermatitis that won't damage my hair?

IP Logged

Sakina
Stardust

August 2O1O @ the Louvre

Arizona
Reply #7 - May 19th, 2009 at 1:25am

YIR, apple cider vinegar rinses are soothing to the scalp.  Neem oil is excellent for a healthy scalp.  I do not have seborrheic dermatitis so I can not speak specifically to it but you can research what I've mentioned.  Good luck!

Sakina
Salon Board Moderator
LongLocks HairSticks Boutique
http://www.longlocks.com
Healthy hair is beautiful no matter what length it is.
IP Logged

Melusine
Ex Member

Reply #8 - May 20th, 2009 at 12:57am

Hi, Christina,  I just switched to sulfate-free products a few weeks ago.  My hair is fine-textured and I color it.  It is softer, shinier and I get less breakage with the sulfate-free.  Like Yesitsreal, I oil my hair the nite before I shampoo, using jojoba oil, and I do a vinegar rinse between shampoo and conditioner.  I use distilled white vinegar, mixed with water, about 2 tbsp. to 1 cup water.  I also threw away my cheap plastic combs and bought a bone comb and a wood comb; they are gentler on your hair.  I get a mini-trim every month when I get color.

L'Oreal and Burt's Bees make sulfate-free products that are reasonably priced.  I get them at Wal-Mart.  Good luck.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print