Susan's Closet
LongLocks Collectors Club
Index of Hair Care Articles
Testimonials
Free Newsletter

L'Etoile Perdue by William Bouguereau

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Best end cut, blunt or curved to wear braided bun? (Read 6959 times)
cskizer
Amethyst

LongLocks Rocks!

Best end cut, blunt or curved to wear braided bun?
Apr 25th, 2010 at 1:48pm

I have about shoulder length hair that is ragged on the ends, but not damaged. I wear my hair in a braided bun on the crown of my head and cover it with a cap. I do not believe it is a sin to cut(trim) my hair. I need to know which end cut I should use, either a blunt, straight-across trim or a curved end cut? Should I part my hair in the middle, comb it to the sides and then cut the ends in back or what should I do first? Comb all of my hair straight back and down and then cut the ends in a blunt or cruved trim?

Thank you.

IP Logged

Angel
Emerald

carpe noctem

Re: Best end cut, blunt or curved to wear braided bun?
Reply #1 - Apr 25th, 2010 at 4:30pm

Greetings and welcome, Cskizer.

Regular trims are part of having long hair...or hair of any length, actually. Are you by chance planning to trim your own hair? If so, I would encourage you to reconsider and find someone else (preferably a trained professional) to do it for you. You have only to look at anyone who trims their own hair to know that it's not a good idea. The vast majority of self-trimmed hair looks...well, like self-trimmed hair. In other words, like a ghastly at-home job.
    If you already have someone to do your trims, then good for you. Ignore everything I just said. Wink

As for the shape, cutting straight across is always safer. Cutting into a U or V shape exposes more of each hair's cortex, making it more prone to dryness and damage. The ends also stick out of styles more when cut this way.
    Since your hair is only shoulder length, there really wouldn't be any ęsthetic difference between a straight or curved cut anyway.

As for parting your hair for a trim, you'll want to part it in the middle or not at all. Your stylist will most likely be moving sections of your hair all over the place anyway and will know what to do with it.

Best of luck. Smiley

IP Logged

cskizer
Amethyst

LongLocks Rocks!

Reply #2 - Apr 25th, 2010 at 6:24pm

Sorry, I meant to say my hair is below my shoulder blades. Since I will always be braiding my hair up into a bun on the crown of my head, will cutting it straight across keep the ends of the braid from being wildly out of similar length as they are now?

IP Logged

Curlgirl64
Stardust

Practice Yoga,give and
receive Reiki

Brooklyn,N.Y.
Reply #3 - Apr 25th, 2010 at 9:13pm

Hi and welcome!
I would think so regarding the straight cut and braiding.
Along with the things that Angel pointed out; the shape of your face also dictates what would compliment you most as far as where the part goes.
It's a very good idea to let a preofessional that you trust do your trims and cuts.  Let us know how you make out!

Curlgirl64
Head Board Moderator
LongLocks HairSticks Boutique
http://www.longlocks.com
WWW Curlgirl64  
IP Logged

Angel
Emerald

carpe noctem

Reply #4 - Apr 25th, 2010 at 11:23pm

Cskizer,

A straight cut is easier to work with for any type of style, including braids, because you don't have any sections that are deliberately cut shorter than the rest.
    That said, the evenness of each braid strand determines how the ends will line up. If each strand is exactly the same size, the ends will come out more even. If the strands are uneven in density, the ends will be wonkier. Apologies if I didn't explain that terribly well. Embarrassed

Word to the wise, putting a hairtie in the same spot every single day causes crazy damage. You might consider varying your hairstyle.

Cheers!

IP Logged

Enna
Ruby

CALIFORNIA
Reply #5 - Apr 26th, 2010 at 1:27pm

You CAN trim your own hair and here are instructions - I think they've been on this board before -

http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim

I've been using this method (blunt) for several years now and it works fine. Just make sure to cut a little at a time. Wink

My hair is tail-bone length (that picture is almost 2 years old and I had just taken it out of a twist so it looks a bit uneven) and my husband helps me to get the scuncie down to the end.  I keep these instructions taped to the inside of my medicine cabinet so I don't have to track them down every time I need to trim.

...and I shall wear purple.
1a/F/ii

IP Logged

Tara
Sapphire

Tail-Bone Length, Straight
Hair.

Fort Myers, FL
Reply #6 - May 3rd, 2010 at 11:49am

I have very long hair that I wear in a bun every day, lots of buns actually.  I always cut my hair straight across and I have never had a problem tucking ends or what have you. 

I also trim my own hair very easily, quickly, and accurately.  I wouldn't listen to people who say "only have a trained professional" do it, because that it just hogs wash! (no offense, hairstylists)  For something simple like a trim, you can absolutely do it yourself.

To trim hair straight across, comb your hair and put it in a low, tight ponytail, right at the base of your neck, with NO part (comb the hair straight back).  Use scrunchie to do this, NOT a no-slip hair-tie.  Stand with your back straight and your head straight forward, reach around (or have someone help you if need be, I do it myself though) and begin pulling the scrunchie STRAIGHT down (do not follow the curve of your back, you want to go straight down toward the floor).  Pull the scrunchie all the way down and stop just above the point you want to trim off.  then, simply cut the hair below the scrunchie.  Use VERY sharp hair scissors (I actually use my insanely sharp Ginghers, which are fabric scissors, but they work well for my thick hair), et VOILA!  Perfectly straight trim, every time!  If your hair is short enough that you can not see your ends when they are in a pony tail, you might want to have someone else to the cutting, but it's so simple that even someone who has never touched hair before could do it.

Good Luck!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print