Send Topic Print
Thermo Cut (Read 11128 times)
Moonchild
Diamond

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Germany
Thermo Cut
Aug 19th, 2005 at 8:33am

My stylist offered to trim my hair with "hot scissors". She said it would prevent split ends and breakage.
Does anybody know anything about this?
Is it worth the extra money?

&&...&&&&

IP Logged

bikerbraid
Shooting Star

Life is short, Break the
rules

Bike Paths of the Midwest
Re: Thermo Cut
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2005 at 10:21am

I've not heard of this method. (I have heard of people applying a flame to the ends to prevent splits).

I've always thought that if a sharp scizzors were used, the ends would not split if the end was cut straight across. 

It would be interesting to see what the hair end looked like under a microscope after being cut with the hot blade and see if it looked any different from a regular blade.

bikerbraid
Global Salon Moderator
LongLocks HairSticks Boutique
http://www.longlocks.com
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.&&Life may not
WWW Bikerbraid  
IP Logged

Maroula
Emerald

Coffee first, then we'll
talk.  :D

NY
Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2005 at 12:48pm

Ok that's interesting, and I'd never heard of it so I googled it.  (Google is your friend. 8) )

Make sure you put in Thermal Cut for hair, otherwise you wind up with a bunch of bodybuilding sites.

(which wasn't so bad for me Wink )

http://www.velocityweekly.com/2004/0128/life/fashion.html

Quoted from the site:

Say so long to split ends.

Sick of slathering on ultra-thick potions that promise to seal the frayed ends of your hair? Tired of treatments that tout healing claims if only you'll wrap your goo-laden tresses in a warm towel, wait 20 minutes, rinse and repeat as necessary?

Say hello to the Jaguar TC-500, a new tool for cutting hair that will end the battle of the brittle ends.

While this may sound like a late-night infomercial — we thought so too — Mary Jo Large, group director of Dillard's Your Salon in Mall St. Matthews, swears by the Jaguar TC-500, which is a pair of heated shears.

"The blade of the shear actually heats, and it heats to the desired temperature that we program it to. What happens is that when the hot blade cuts the hair, it seals the end of the hair so that it prevents any type of split end from happening," Large explained.

The high-tech procedure, also called the Thermo Cut, was brought to the United States from Germany and is available at 40 Dillard's locations throughout the country.

Interesting and now very curious to see more results from this.

You do need to have your hair cut three times for this to work, I'm curious as to why.

8)

...&&Name's different, but still an amazon

IP Logged

bikerbraid
Shooting Star

Life is short, Break the
rules

Reply #3 - Aug 19th, 2005 at 1:11pm

I'm guessing the 3 cuts "rule" is to make sure all of the strands of the head have been cut by the thermal blade.  That would not necessarily be true of anyone with hair longer than their shoulders. 

(Good Googling Maroula!  Thanks!)

bikerbraid
Global Salon Moderator
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.&&Life may not
WWW Bikerbraid  
IP Logged

Maroula
Emerald

Coffee first, then we'll

NY
Reply #4 - Aug 19th, 2005 at 1:16pm

Quote:
I'm guessing the 3 cuts "rule" is to make sure all of the strands of the head have been cut by the thermal blade.  That would not necessarily be true of anyone with hair longer than their shoulders.  

(Good Googling Maroula!  Thanks!)

No problem! Smiley

Yeah, I was wondering about why the three cuts?  Was it a magic number?  Was it to get more money from poor easily led on folks?

Your guess sounds about right, and yeah, I can't really see how that would work for us.  I know I wouldn't have mine cut three times by a stylist with hot shears.  *shivers*  I think I would have a page boy by the time they were done.   Shocked

8)
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2005 at 7:03pm by Maroula »  

IP Logged

bikerbraid
Shooting Star

Life is short, Break the
rules

Reply #5 - Aug 19th, 2005 at 1:49pm

They would work well at trimming/dusting, but at over $1000 for the shears, I think I will "deal" with my split ends for now.

bikerbraid
Global Salon Moderator
WWW Bikerbraid  
IP Logged

novusfemina
Emerald

La nuit a des douceurs
de femme

Reply #6 - Aug 19th, 2005 at 3:48pm

Quote:
They would work well at trimming/dusting, but at over $1000 for the shears, I think I will "deal" with my split ends for now.

Ha ha ha!!  Well said, Bikerbraid.  Cheesy

IP Logged

khrome
Stardust

1bM/Ciii

santa barbara, ca
Reply #7 - Aug 19th, 2005 at 5:28pm

Thanks for the info!  I think this page shows the hair magnified using Thermo cut.  I'm not sure because I don't know what language this is so I couldn't run it through a translator:
http://www.mamut.com/homepages/Croatia/3/12/dessardo/subdet17.htm

Very interesting concept!

Cynde

IP Logged

bikerbraid
Shooting Star

Life is short, Break the
rules

Reply #8 - Aug 19th, 2005 at 5:34pm

bikerbraid
Global Salon Moderator
WWW Bikerbraid  
IP Logged

gabi
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Aug 19th, 2005 at 7:42pm

I don't even want to think about how long Maroula got side tracked on those bodybuilding sites *EVILLE Grin*

This actually makes a kind of sense if hair acts like twine that you singe to solidify the cut but I can't help wondering if the same heat it takes to seal the end would also travel up the hair shaft somewhat.

If heat is all that is required we could always take a blow torch into the bathroom with us *snork* ...g

IP Logged

NaturalRogue
Emerald

Dancing at night playing
the music of human soul

Dallas, TX
Reply #10 - Aug 19th, 2005 at 9:15pm

When I first starting reading this thread, I thought, "Mmmm, this sounds like one of those, 'Buy us and we'll fix all of your lifes problems"' type thing. After reading more and giving it some thought...

Could the heat during cutting acutally cauterize the end of the hair shaft? Hair is mostly, as far as I know (please correct me if I'm wrong), dead protein cells. Firing the ends of these undead hairs could indeed fuse the cells together to prevent a split, at the end.

As I was writing this, I happened to think of skin, which has many properties in common with hair. Having recently acquired a severe burn (bad, bad oven and stupid rogue), the skin will heal very, very smooth. In fact, smoother than the surrounding unburned skin. Is this the same principle at work?

But then why the 3 cuts? The only explanation I can suggest, assuming this isn't just another way for them to take away hard-earned cash, is to help insure they've gotten most of the splits.

Ever wonder how much deeper would the ocean be without sponges.

IP Logged

Maroula
Emerald

Coffee first, then we'll

NY
Reply #11 - Aug 20th, 2005 at 1:22am

Quote:
I don't even want to think about how long Maroula got side tracked on those bodybuilding sites *EVILLE Grin*

*looks up from several windows open on her computer*

*wipes drool from chin*

Huh?  What?  You talking about me Gabi?   ???

Wink

IP Logged

novusfemina
Emerald

La nuit a des douceurs
de femme

Reply #12 - Aug 20th, 2005 at 3:18pm

Quote:
When I first starting reading this thread, I thought, "Mmmm, this sounds like one of those, 'Buy us and we'll fix all of your lifes problems"' type thing. After reading more and giving it some thought...

Could the heat during cutting acutally cauterize the end of the hair shaft? Hair is mostly, as far as I know (please correct me if I'm wrong), dead protein cells. Firing the ends of these undead hairs could indeed fuse the cells together to prevent a split, at the end.

As I was writing this, I happened to think of skin, which has many properties in common with hair. Having recently acquired a severe burn (bad, bad oven and stupid rogue), the skin will heal very, very smooth. In fact, smoother than the surrounding unburned skin. Is this the same principle at work?

But then why the 3 cuts? The only explanation I can suggest, assuming this isn't just another way for them to take away hard-earned cash, is to help insure they've gotten most of the splits.

Ooo Rogue!  *hands Rogue bandaids and antibiotic ointment*  Them ovens are ornery....  Tongue

I think you're right about carterizing the ends... you can do the same sort of thing with certain kinds of fiber rope.. burn the ends and they won't fray.

But... okay, burning the ends.... good for your hair?  I mean, granted no (or fewer) split ends, but at the same time, you're still burning the ends... is that healthy for your hair?

As for the three cuts.. I think that's just so they get ALL of the ends.. hair doesn't grow all at the same rate, and I think the magic three is to make sure every last hair has been heat-snipped.

What I wanna know... does that stink?  I mean.. burning hair  Lips Sealed  So does it stink to high heaven while the hairdresser is snipping away?

IP Logged

Maroula
Emerald

Coffee first, then we'll

NY
Reply #13 - Aug 20th, 2005 at 4:21pm

I'm having issues with this "three cuts" thing.  How are they spaced apart?  Are they spaced a few months apart to catch the growth cycle of all the hairs?  Or are they only spaced a week or so apart?

And say it all works, great!

What do you do if you have an actual hairstyle?  How does that work into the equation?  I mean you will need to keep cutting your ends. right?  Do you go for a thermal 'hair cut', or go back to the regular haircut? But then you'll have splits again, because you are cutting the sealed ends off.

And if you are not going for a hairstyle...are they advocating long, natural hair?

???

I think I'll just keep my splits thank you very much, this sounds way too costly and time consuming for me.  Tongue

8)

IP Logged

Rapunzel_wannabe
Amethyst

Gorgeous hair is the best
revenge

Teeny Tiny Old folks town, WA
Reply #14 - Aug 22nd, 2005 at 4:43am

Wouldn't it be the same as blow drying your scissors before you cut your hair? Or sticking it in boiling water, It makes some sense to me, then again I'm so tired A cookie dipped in orange juice sounds logical  Wink

15/28/32+ &&1bMii &&&&...&&&&

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print