Send Topic Print
eep cat bite (Read 5228 times)
khrome
Stardust

1bM/Ciii

santa barbara, ca
eep cat bite
Dec 15th, 2005 at 7:05am

Gah, as if I need another thing to worry about.  The darn neighbor's cat bit me!  I was being nice to it, and it was sitting on my couch, and he/she seemed to be enjoying me petting it, and it TURNED on me.  Just sunk it's teeth right across those bumps I'm going to get checked for ganglion cysts.   Roll Eyes  

So, I've just been a sickeepoo my whole life, and right now I'm on immune suppressants so I'm prone to viruses and infections.  Does anyone know of any cat-bite-related illnesses that I should keep an eye on?  I'm calling my doc tomorrow also, but I'm just all paranoid.  

Off to do some web searches on it -

Cynde

IP Logged

juri
Stardust

USA
Re: eep cat bite
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 7:14am

Ack! I don't know exact names, but you should definately get the bite checked out by your doctor as soon as possible. I once saw an episode of "Emergency Vets" where a woman was bitten by her cat and got some sort of nasty infection. And my friend works in a vet clinic ans when I mentioned that episode to her, she said that side effects from cat bites can be kind of bad....not to sound alarmist or anything....

Sorry, I don't think that helped at all.  Embarrassed

1b MC ii/iii&&14.5/42/39 14.5/33.5&&"Bring me my pendulum, kiddies, I feel like swinging!" Vincent Price  &&

IP Logged

khrome
Stardust

1bM/Ciii

santa barbara, ca
Reply #2 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 7:21am

No that helped!  Because I might wake up tomorrow and change my mind about calling my doc, but now I will even if I feel okay.  Thanks for the info!

Cynde

IP Logged

juri
Stardust

USA
Reply #3 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 7:36am

I'm glad it helped, Khrome. Before seeing that "Emergency Vets" episode, I didn't think cat bites were all that bad, but it turns out they are. It's been a while since I've seen it, however I do remember that the woman waited to see her doctor and ended up getting an operation to get built up pus removed. But if she had waited any longer, the doctor probably would have had to amputate some of her fingers (the cat bit her hand)! I don't know if all cat bite infections have the potential to become that serious, but it totally freaked me out. >_<

1b MC ii/iii&&14.5/42/39 14.5/33.5&&"Bring me my pendulum, kiddies, I feel like swinging!" Vincent Price  &&

IP Logged

Curlygirl22
Diamond

Reply #4 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 9:20am

Cats do carry all sorts of diseases( so i have heard). The dr. might give u a shot or pills .  Goodluck. Dont worry too much. Just see your Dr. right away as an emergency.

IP Logged

Sasha
Sapphire

California
Reply #5 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 11:41am

I was bit by someone's cat when I was in the fifth grade.  I wore long sleeves for a couple weeks to hide the bite mark because I was terrified that my parents would make me get rabies shots.  (I have a needle phobia.)  Not the best idea but how far ahead do kids think? 

Each place a tooth had pierced the skin swelled up and turned red and filled with pus.  I kept cleaning the wound myself and it did heal fine, although I still have scars.  Definitely go to the Dr if the cat broke skin!

IP Logged

Valerie
Diamond

Colorado
Reply #6 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 12:48pm

Definetly go to the dr, whether you feel good or not.  I know antibiotics are over used, but cat bites are one of the times you really do need them.

2aMii
irisblue23  
IP Logged

Sakina
Stardust

August 2O1O @ the Louvre

Arizona
Reply #7 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 2:51pm

Sorry to hear you've been bitten!  Call the doc and get it taken care of asap!  I'm sure it sucks being a sickeepoo, but with the meds you're on, you've extra vulnerable.

Take Care of Yourself, Khrome!!!

Sakina
Salon Board Moderator
LongLocks HairSticks Boutique
http://www.longlocks.com
Healthy hair is beautiful no matter what length it is.
IP Logged

Beesan16
Diamond

st. louis, MO
Reply #8 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 3:07pm

I'm sorry you got bitten, nasty cat Tongue

I found this website that might have some info for the time being.

HTH Smiley and i hope you don't get any infection!

&&...&&&&
IP Logged

13bodies
Diamond

mostly here, sometimes not
Reply #9 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 3:32pm

I'm sorry that evil feline bit you.  You absolutely must go to the doctor.  Cat bites get infected easily.  Bogie bit me once and I had to get an antibiotic shot and take a week of pills. 

Plus you'll need a tetanus shot if you aren't up-to-date.

This wasn't just plain terrible, this was fancy terrible. This was terrible with raisins in it.----Dorothy Parker&&Life is pain...anyone who says differently is selling something--The Princess Bride

IP Logged

khrome
Stardust

1bM/Ciii

santa barbara, ca
Reply #10 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 6:06pm

Thanks, all for the well wishes and info.  I was swamped with meetings this morning and just now had a chance to call the doc.  I left a message, and they said he'd either call by tonight or tomorrow. 

My wrist swelled up a little yesterday but now it has gone down.  But the bite still itches and feels bruised.  I think it will be okay because as soon as it happened, I clamped my arm with my other hand, ran the cut under hot water, doused it in alchohol, and put an antibiotic ointment on it. 

That darned cat. I'm still mad at him because after he bit me and I yelled, he gave me a dirty look, and quite purposefully got up, turned 180 degrees, and lay down again.  I sat blinking at the back-end of this cat.  I couldn't even believe he did that.  The nerve! 

I stuck him outside which wasn't easy because it seemed like he had all four claws stuck in the couch.  My boyfriend said "I told you not to play with that cat.."  Well I'm not anymore.  No treats for joo!

Cynde

IP Logged

Christiana
Sapphire

Reply #11 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 7:47pm

Cats can be really crazy.  I was at my aunt's house (she has three cats) and my sisters and I were petting this one cat that kept curling around our legs, seeking affection.  (Right.)    In a nanosecond the beast just went ballistic and bit one of my sisters.  We washed the bite and Mom had some antiseptic and a bandaid in her purse.  We never told our aunt because we were guests and didn't want to make her feel bad.

I didn't know cat bites could be so serious--whoa.  I'm NOT touching her cats when we visit for Christmas!!!

Christiana&&&&

IP Logged

khrome
Stardust

1bM/Ciii

santa barbara, ca
Reply #12 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 8:01pm

Wow Christiana that is exactly how this cat acted!  It was cuddly and purring then SNAP! 

I just wanted to update you all that my doc just called.  He said cat bites can be serious and even more so on immunosuppressants.  Even if it seems okay now he wants to put me on antibiotics.

He also said we have to be on the lookout for rabies but that is really unlikely since there hasn't been a breakout in our area in years.  He said I should ask the neighbor if the cat has been acting funny lately.

I just want to thank you guys again for sharing your experiences because it really made me do something about it right away, instead of waiting around to see if I got sick.

Cynde

IP Logged

PreciousLocks
Diamond

Turning my gold to silver
one hair at a time

Reply #13 - Dec 16th, 2005 at 9:27pm

Glad to hear you called the doc.  I've had to work with people after cat bites -- not pretty.  Be sure to call the doc back pronto if your arm starts to get more reddened, or doesn't seem to be healing like it should.

30.75" ~78cm/waist&&1bFii&&&&"No chance at all if you think you can pull it off by yourself.  Every chance in the world if you let God do it."  The Message Mark 10:27

IP Logged

Galadriel
Stardust

Reply #14 - Dec 19th, 2005 at 4:27am

Wow. I didn't know that cat bites could be that serious.
I'm glad to hear that you're in good care.

I get rabbit bites only, but they're pretty harmless. Though T has a rabbit bite scar in his hand...

1bFii/waist length&&&&The flowers of wonder&&And the hidden treasures&&In the meadow of life&&My acre of heaven&&&&T. Holopainen/Nightwish

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print