Susan's Closet
LongLocks Collectors Club
Index of Hair Care Articles
Testimonials
Free Newsletter

L'Etoile Perdue by William Bouguereau

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is this just a woman thing? (Read 8518 times)
Jerry
Diamond

LongLocks Rocks!

Montana
Is this just a woman thing?
May 18th, 2008 at 1:44pm

Sometimes my wife will come home and all she wants to do is talk about work Shocked  

Normally, I don't mind but there are times when it seems like she just goes on and on and on and will not shut up Shocked

I tell people when I leave work at 2pm all I think about is everything else but work.

So, since us guys are far and between and most of the members are female here can somebody try to make this make sense to me please?

Thank you

Jerry

IP Logged

Godyssey
Stardust

Georgia
Re: Is this just a woman thing?
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2008 at 6:02pm

Grin  You're so funny!

But really, it may be a "woman thing". Grin  I know that when I'd have a tough day at work, venting to my husband would sometimes make me feel better.  Or if something funny happened, I would share that with him as well. 

I notice that my husband doesn't talk about work so much, but he will talk if something big or shocking happens in his company... or if his job changes which happens fairly often.  However, the little day to day stuff he just keeps to himself.

I once worked with a girl who talked on and on and on to her husband about work.  We were friends, so I'd be present sometimes when she'd run through all of the details of her day to her husband.  He'd usually just nod and not say anything, you could tell that he really didn't care.  It was funny to watch though. Smiley

Healthy Hair Is My Priority...

IP Logged

bikerbraid
Shooting Star

Life is short, Break the
rules

Bike Paths of the Midwest
Reply #2 - May 19th, 2008 at 9:20am

No, it is NOT a woman's thing.  My hubby and son will talk non-stop about work if allowed.  I'll admit that I will at times discuss issues from work but not like they do!!!

bikerbraid
Global Salon Moderator
LongLocks HairSticks Boutique
http://www.longlocks.com
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.&&Life may not
WWW Bikerbraid  
IP Logged

Angel Spun
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 19th, 2008 at 5:33pm

I think this topic may be in the wrong forum.

But anyway, no, it's not just a "woman thing." What narrow terminology.
In my family, it's anyone's game. My father & sister often rant about their jobs because neither of them are treated fairly. I'm not much of a talker anyway, and I tend to leave work issues at work. But since my mother 1.) shares my position at work and 2.) looooves to talk,  Grin  she will talk to me quite a bit about work. And for the most part, I find myself just nodding and throwing in an occasional "yeah," "yup," or "mmm hmm." Pretty much like any other time she has a "conversation" with me.  Roll Eyes  hehe

IP Logged

roomtogrow
Emerald

Reply #4 - May 20th, 2008 at 7:02pm

i just realized a few months ago that i was starting to talk to my husband about work a lot-especially when i was stressed. since that made me continue to stress about situations i could not change, i'm now trying to just tell him either high points from the day or things i'm trying to brainstorm a solution to. it seems to have cut down on my need to talk about work, and i think has given us more time to talk about other things-like mario kart and what we should wear to ren. fair  Smiley

IP Logged

Jerry
Diamond

LongLocks Rocks!

Montana
Reply #5 - May 21st, 2008 at 3:55am

Thank you for most of the positive responses so far Smiley

I almost forgot that talking about work can also be known as 'talking shop' and I have noticed that when I run into co-workers in public (stores mainly) they like to talk about work which mainly turns into mostly gossip of who is doing what and why Roll Eyes  And, that is both the male and females.

Jerry

IP Logged

Angel Spun
Ex Member

Reply #6 - May 21st, 2008 at 4:59pm

Quote:
I have noticed that when I run into co-workers in public (stores mainly) they like to talk about work which mainly turns into mostly gossip of who is doing what and why  Roll Eyes

hehe

It can make for interesting conversation sometimes. When I was dating a fellow that I worked with, work was a topic that came up often. Even though we worked in different departments and had different levels of experience with the company (I had worked there for a few years, whereas he was a newbie), it was something that we had in common and it's always nice to have someone who knows where you're coming from. Plus, we were able to talk about the different experiences we'd had, how things worked and what was going on in our respective areas.
    So that was kinda cool...having someone who understood. We couldn't have had those same conversations with anyone outside the workplace because they wouldn't really get it.

IP Logged

Jerry
Diamond

LongLocks Rocks!

Montana
Reply #7 - May 21st, 2008 at 5:51pm

It might sound like I hate my job or I hate talking about it but that is not the case at all Roll Eyes

My main point is that when my wife talks about her work she gives too many details instead of just getting to the point.  And, I have gotten frustrated with her and asked her to skip all the details and just get to the main point.

She has told me more than once she loves her job and I suppose that is one reason she goes into great detail but sometimes she will pretty much tell me the same thing from the day before or she will repeat things that are almost a daily occurance.

And, when I am at a store and we talk about work I don't mind that as long as we do not stand there for hours on end going on and on and on Roll Eyes  
I will admit that might be the only thing in common I might have with that person so talking about work might be the only thing we do have to talk about Shocked

And, for most people work is a major part of their lives (which it is for my wife and I) so what happens there affects the daily life of the person good or bad.

But, when I am at home, work is one of the least things on my mind because I am very far from being a workaholic and I might think about work at home but ocassionally and not all the time no matter where I might be.

My wife is not a workaholic either but sometimes I think she cares too much about her work and has a hard time leaving it behind her when she comes home.

So, it is not a matter of just talking about work it is a matter of talking about it too much and too often.

Jerry

IP Logged

bikerbraid
Shooting Star

Life is short, Break the
rules

Bike Paths of the Midwest
Reply #8 - May 22nd, 2008 at 8:27am

Jerry;
There could be several different reasons for your wife's work discussions.

1)  She likes her job and wants to share her experiences with you.
2)  She wants to converse with you and this is the best topic she can work with.
3)  She has a need to keep a conversation going and talking about work can be a one-sided conversation when you don't offer alternative topics.
4)  Some people just like to talk.

My suggestion if you don't want to have her discussing work all the time - bring up other topics that she would enjoy discussing with you.

bikerbraid
Global Salon Moderator
LongLocks HairSticks Boutique
http://www.longlocks.com
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.&&Life may not
WWW Bikerbraid  
IP Logged

Jerry
Diamond

LongLocks Rocks!

Montana
Reply #9 - May 24th, 2008 at 10:48am

Thank you Robin Smiley  I will keep those suggestions in mind.

Wow, I just noticed you are over 6,000 posts Shocked  That is a lot of posting Wink

Jerry

IP Logged

rodent
Emerald

Greetings!

Missouri
Reply #10 - May 27th, 2008 at 9:50pm

I get this, too. I feel I know her co-workers intimatley yet I've never met them.

A Tale of Two Best Friends; Kayla & Kirby Ann is closed for the moment.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print