Susan's Closet
LongLocks Collectors Club
Index of Hair Care Articles
Testimonials
Free Newsletter

L'Etoile Perdue by William Bouguereau

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Top 5 Most Important Things I've learned from LL (Read 7447 times)
waiting4longlocks
Emerald

;)

Top 5 Most Important Things I've learned from LL
Jan 8th, 2009 at 6:53pm

Many people have been asking me lately how my hair is growing so nicely..
So here it is, in a nutshell Smiley

Top 5 Most Important Things I've learned from LL

1) Eliminate Sulfates/Laureth Sulfates shampoos! - much too harsh for the hair
2) Clarify with WV/ACV rinses to remove build-up & add shine
3) No Cones!
4) When combing hair, start at the ends and work up.
5) OIL! oIL! OiL! oil! OIL!!!!!!!!!!

I've gone through the routine so many times, LOL Smiley

Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic.  ~Rosalind Russell&&&&&&...&&&&&&

IP Logged

bikerbraid
Shooting Star

Life is short, Break the
rules

Bike Paths of the Midwest
Re: Top 5 Most Important Things I've learned from
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2009 at 8:38pm

Great list!  Glad you learned a few things from us.

bikerbraid
Global Salon Moderator
LongLocks HairSticks Boutique
http://www.longlocks.com
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.&&Life may not
WWW Bikerbraid  
IP Logged

Drear
Diamond

1aCii

Denmark
Reply #2 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 7:21am

I'm glad this works for you.  I can't make 3&4 work for me.  I'll be doing an organic shampoo experiment soon but if I don't like the way it makes my hair feel, even after using conditioner/oil, then I'll go back to regularl shampoo.

IP Logged

Blondie35
Sapphire

LongLocks Rocks!

Reply #3 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 10:04am

I can say that since I've been coming here I have also learned a lot too about ACV rinses and vinegar rinses to remove product build-up, and how to grow and care for long hair, and also I've learned how to do CO washings only instead of shampooing on a daily basis.

Hey there bikerbraid!  How's it going?  Long time nor' hear or see!!!  I just wanted to give you an update on my hair growth......I have some really exciting news!!!!!  Do you remember when we first met in this forum about 2 or 3 years ago, and I started out with chin length hair???  Well, no longer anymore in that stage!!!!!!  Grin I'm in much more longer stage now!!!!  It is now reaching almost Bra Strap Length!!!!!  I'd say it's about an inch or 2 away from being shoulder-blade length.  I am really thrilled and excited about my new hair length and growth!!!!  I have even given my hair coloring and bleaching a nice long break!!!!!  I am still going to bleach but not as often as I used to just where my hair in a  bob.  Right now a lot of my natural medium light brown hair color has grown out!!!!  I believe I have about 2 inches of natural hair color out but this weekend I'm planning on bleaching it blonde again.  I do love the blonde color.  What I do is siince while I'm trying to let my hair grow out extremely long and bleaching I just condition, condition, and condition, and oil, oil, oil, and oil.  I even do more CO washings my than washing my hair daily.  I just rinse and condition it daily, and shampoo only once or twice a week but after I rinse with conditioning it I dry it by either blow-drying or wetsetting on rollers, and then I'll oil it really  good with eiter "Pink Oil Moisturizer." Or, Carrot Oil.  I've been experimenting with different oils to see how they all work on the hair.

So, how is your hair holding up?  Is it still long, beautiful, shiny, and dark blonde???

Blondie35

IP Logged

bikerbraid
Shooting Star

Life is short, Break the
rules

Bike Paths of the Midwest
Reply #4 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 3:46pm

Hey Blondie!!

I'm still here, hair is still long and still dark blonde.  I have either hit my terminal length at classic or I am in a seriously long resting phase.   Glad to hear your hair is growing and it sounds like it's growing FAST!  Great!  Keep conditioning and oiling if you insist on bleaching.  I hope you can reach your goal of really long hair!

bikerbraid
Global Salon Moderator
LongLocks HairSticks Boutique
http://www.longlocks.com
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.&&Life may not
WWW Bikerbraid  
IP Logged

Fern
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 15th, 2009 at 5:56pm

Hey I am new here to the forum, but I have been exploring the site for a few days. :] I wanted to ask about the first point, about eliminating sulfates. I was really curious to see what LongLocks says about this, and the information they give, but I can't find it anywhere in the site! Also, what are cones? Thanks!
~Fern

IP Logged

waiting4longlocks
Emerald

;)

Reply #6 - Feb 15th, 2009 at 8:58pm

Eliminating sulfates was crucial for me because my hair is curly & naturally dry. Laureth/Lauryl Sulfates are harsh cleaning agents for the hair. There are mild alternatives though, mostly found in organic shampoos.
As for "Cones" aka silicones.. these are any ingredients in your conditioners or hair products that end in -cone (ex. dimethicone). Cones create a barrier to keep the moisture out. So if you have curly hair and need the extra moisture, it is a good idea to eliminate cones. In the winter when I straighten my hair more often, I occasionally use cones, and some others her at LL have great results with cones. I hope some of the others on the boards will add to this!   Wink My knowledge is somewhat limited to my hair type. All I can really say is if you start paying attention to the ingredients in your shampoo, conditioner & hair products... it can really make a big difference!  Smiley

Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic.  ~Rosalind Russell&&&&&&...&&&&&&

IP Logged

Fern
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 12:55pm

Ok, thanks for your answer. I have been trying to get shampoos without sulfates anyways so I guess I'm on the right path! Smiley

IP Logged

pvtteeny
Amethyst

tango starlet in training

Denver, CO
Reply #8 - Apr 2nd, 2009 at 10:46pm

I had pretty much the same list. When I first found this site I was still washing my hair every day (and I actually believed my hair was naturally frizzy. go figure) I kicked that habit and threw away my brush.Through the tips on this site and trial and error I now have the following routine for my hair:

once a week wash with castille soap/essential oil shampoo (from a recipe in Vallerie Ann Worwood's "The Complete book of essential oils & aromatherapy) followed by ACV/essential oil rinse (same recipe source)

Comb (sometimes when wet, usually dry) with wooden comb

oil as needed with Jojoba/lavender essential oil mix

my hair has been very happy with this routine, but is starting to feel like it wants a change. I ordered a shampoo bar from hennaforhair.com, am excited to find out how it works since I will be doing a lot of traveling starting next month and one less liquid is always good

Also tried henna once and loved the conditioning. It made my hair soooo soft! Will try again with Cassia because I don't want to color my hair, will let you know how it goes.

IP Logged

AgentOrange
Amethyst

Longing for Length

US
Reply #9 - Jun 25th, 2009 at 10:25pm

I'm also curious about the sulfates....i just checked, and both the shampoos I've been using contain them! I don't exactly know what they are. My hair isn't curly, however, I think It's type 1b.  Should someone with straight hair still eliminate them?

IP Logged

Midnight Angel
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jun 26th, 2009 at 11:14am

Not necessary unless you have allergies to sulfates or find that they are really drying out your hair.

I have naturally straight hair and have been using sulfates all my life without a problem.

IP Logged

Melusine
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jun 26th, 2009 at 12:40pm

I have fine curly/wavy hair and since I have eliminated sulfates and cones, my is fuller, better behaved and shinier.  I also used to shampoo every day, but now do it every 3rd or 4th day.

If you are looking for sulfate-free, Burt's Bees makes a sulfate-free, volumizing shampoo that is fabulous!  L'Oreal also does s-f, volumizing, but I find it makes my hair bushy and frizzy.  I just picked up BedHead s-f for "Massive Thick Hair."  have used it once, but the jury is still out on that one.

Prices range from $8 to $15, at Wal-Mart.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print