Susan's Closet
LongLocks Collectors Club
Index of Hair Care Articles
Testimonials
Free Newsletter

L'Etoile Perdue by William Bouguereau

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 35
Send Topic Print
Sakina's hair raising adventures (Read 166903 times)
Sakina
Stardust

August 2O1O @ the Louvre

Arizona
Re: Sakina's hair raising adventures
Reply #45 - Mar 16th, 2005 at 11:56am

Happy morning!!  I oiled last night (with hubby's help) and slept with it in a braid and washed and my waves are sooo thick.  Really nice, defined S waves and they're about an inch thick.  New development.  Still getting some of those spiral curls popping up as well.  I hope my ends are more protected.  I may begin to put oil on just my ends, although with my hair being wavy and therefore more porous getting the right amount could prove to be a challenge.  I really hate it when my hair soaks up my body lotion-I've had to go to wearing a robe after showering and lotioning up to keep the hair away from my skin as it dries.
This week I'm commiting myself:  cut up a sheet and try those rag curls.  I'm concerned that with my thick hair and unusual work schedule I won't get them dry enough when I'll have to remove the rags.  I think I'll have to towel dry my hair well before wrapping it.  If it gets a bit dry during the process I can always spritz with rose or lavender water.  I've got grand visions of ringlets...how fun!
Got 3 more pair on sticks on the way... Smiley
I'm a little under the weather this week, been staring at the screen for a few minutes like a zombie.  Hope to get some rest this afternoon.  Hope my hair is dry before then!!!

Sakina
Salon Board Moderator
LongLocks HairSticks Boutique
http://www.longlocks.com
Healthy hair is beautiful no matter what length it is.
IP Logged

Sakina
Stardust

August 2O1O @ the Louvre

Arizona
Reply #46 - Mar 23rd, 2005 at 3:37am

Mission accomplished-rags got cut.  First attempt didn't work (based on Susan's instructions), second attempt did (based on making the rags 1"x6" and rolling like hot rollers) but 20 rags really weren't enough for all of my hair.  So, gotta cut some more.
I've been chomping at the bit to write in this journal and now I've forgotten most of what I wanted to say.  Oh well.
Sad news this weekend, one of my first students died Saturday.  I will miss her for a long time to come.
New hairstick arrivals:
Pearl Glitz Glitterstix
Capri Aubergine Glitterstix
Midnight Rosebuds Glitterstix
I'm going to wear the pearl ones for my recital with the pearl earrings and necklace my grandma gave me when I was 12.
Had my layers cut off today.  About 1-1/2" gone.  I've never in my life had my hair all one length until now. 
Now that the warm weather is on its way I should have it grow back quickly.  I think I'll make it a plan that if I ever need a pretty big trim to do it going into spring Grin
My hairdresser braided my hair so I'm leaving it in, but I can't wait to wash it the curly girl way and see how my waves turn out.
For now I'm happy to have those terrible split ends gone (note to self-NEVER color hair again and NEVER EVER decide to need to get color removed) and as long as I can still get it up into a bun I'm ecstatic.
I'm so happy to be able to write in my journal, I was having withdrawl!!

Sakina
Salon Board Moderator
IP Logged

Sakina
Stardust

August 2O1O @ the Louvre

Arizona
Reply #47 - Mar 24th, 2005 at 10:02pm

Not too much to report.  After my last cut and color I washed my hair today and it wasn't as wavy as it has been recently.  I figure my hair needs to rest and it'll be its self again soon.
This time, my hair is quite soft so that makes me happy.  I did get a new product from the salon by Redkin, from their So Long line (purple bottles).  It is designed to prevent split ends.  The 2nd and 3rd ingredients are -cones.  I think my hair likes cones is general, so I'm giving it a try...
Now that my hair is one length it feels very swingy.  Before it was POOFY.  Surprisingly enough it is more tame at one length.  I hope to see more of my curl develop now, I did see a few spirals today after towel-drying.
Also looking forward to my next attempt at rag curls with my new all one length hair.  Gotta get more rags cut...

Sakina
Salon Board Moderator
IP Logged

Sakina
Stardust

August 2O1O @ the Louvre

Arizona
Reply #48 - Mar 27th, 2005 at 1:02am

I did something today that I've never done before: I went out of the house with a deep conditioning treatment in my hair AND taught a class that way.  I've still got the treatment in, will probably wash it out tomorrow morning.  I don't usually teach on Saturday, but I decided not to let it interrupt my plan for this treatment. 
I'm doing a 3 day liver detox this weekend.  Started on Friday and I'm so wanting something to chew.  This is a liquid detox.
I read that the liver affects healthy hair and since I gave up drinking Coke at this time, too I thought I'd try to get a clean start.  So far no headaches without the caffeine-my problem primarily lies in corn syurp.  If my spelling is bad it's probably lack of food!!
I am enjoying the fresh juices I'm making but I WANT A BAGEL!!
One more day to go.  *dreams of food...*

Sakina
Salon Board Moderator
IP Logged

Sakina
Stardust

August 2O1O @ the Louvre

Arizona
Reply #49 - Mar 27th, 2005 at 5:41pm

I really did dream of food last night, even going grocery shopping!
I washed my treatment out with lemon juice, vinegar and lots of water.  Hubby helped-he really had fun pouring water over my head with a pitcher.
Even wet my hair felt very silky.  After putting back a bit of conditioner my waves are very seperated.  I used the So Long end protector stuff and my usual gel. I have hundreds of little waves.  Will see how it looks after it dries and I shake it out.
I still have some damage to my ends.  I'll probably keep it shorter than planned to get the damage off.
I am so glad I had the layers cut off.  The bun I made yesterday, even with my hair wet and slimey, stayed all day and night.  No pokey outie bits.   Grin
Next trim is in May...

Sakina
Salon Board Moderator
IP Logged

Sakina
Stardust

August 2O1O @ the Louvre

Arizona
Reply #50 - Mar 28th, 2005 at 9:35pm

Ouch!  I hurt my thumb rinsing out that treatment!  I didn't know it until I was teaching this morning.  Oh, bother.
After combing my hair today it's not very wavy, but I've got other things on my mind-like the recital.  I had a very good lesson today, I'm ready to do it!!
Having second thoughts on rag curling.  Do I really need it?  Isn't my hair wavy enough?  Maybe I'll do it just 'cause.
Next recital will be in May-will be getting new music next Monday Grin Grin Grin
I'm anxiously awaiting Susan's next posting of new hairsticks...

Sakina
Salon Board Moderator
IP Logged

greek_lady
Diamond

Carpe Diem Noctemque

Greece
Reply #51 - Mar 29th, 2005 at 5:11pm

Quote:
I'm anxiously awaiting Susan's next posting of new hairsticks...

Me too, Sakina, me too! Let's lobby! "We want sticks!" Cheesy GrinCheesy

---<--@&&&&...&&&&
WWW greek_lady  
IP Logged

Sakina
Stardust

August 2O1O @ the Louvre

Arizona
Reply #52 - Mar 30th, 2005 at 3:13pm

Grin Oh, Greek_Lady, you make me laugh!
Do you have many Rapunzel sticks?  I have one pair so far.

I'm not writing much today because I have a rotten sinus headache.  Argh!  I think I'm not doing rag curls now, I'd have to do them soon in order for them to be dry for tomorrow-which is recital day.  I hate it when stuff like this happens!  I need to get healthy for tomorrow, I'm singing first and then again 3rd from last.  I bought some homeopathic sinus stuff, I sure hope it works fast!!

So, for now I plan on washing my hair tomorrow AM and using my Caruso curls for the performance if I feel up to it.  Otherwise I'll just do my do with waves au natural.

Nighty night!! ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz.

Sakina
Salon Board Moderator
IP Logged

greek_lady
Diamond

Carpe Diem Noctemque

Greece
Reply #53 - Mar 30th, 2005 at 5:00pm

I just had one rapunzel too, Sakina. But I got me two more, last night. I figured since I'm growing out my hair, some time they will come in handy. Besides I couldn't resist the heliotrope beads!!! Cheesy
Did you?

Good luck for tomorrow! (today already?)

---<--@&&&&...&&&&
WWW greek_lady  
IP Logged

Sakina
Stardust

August 2O1O @ the Louvre

Arizona
Reply #54 - Mar 31st, 2005 at 12:05pm

Thanks, G_L.  I did resist buying yesterday-waiting for the cutoff date for the credit card.

So far, this morning's wash is very nice and wavy so if it dries well I think I'll be set for tonight.  Dreamt of performing in my costumes and forgetting a phrase.  I know I know the music and words, usuall fears I guess.

The winds have been blowing forever and that makes my sinuses drain.  Not good when singing, but what can you do??
Ah, nature.

Did a bit of dusting those split ends.  Discovered it is easier to do if I take my glasses off first!  My hubby is concerned that I'm obsessed with split ends.  Will give it some thought.

Nah. Tongue

Sakina
Salon Board Moderator
IP Logged

Sakina
Stardust

August 2O1O @ the Louvre

Arizona
Reply #55 - Apr 1st, 2005 at 2:52am

Well, we just got back from the recital and it was a ROUSING SUCCESS!!!  Everything was perfect-make up, costume, the performance itself AND some of my sisters in dance as well as a student of mine came and sat in the audience.  Oh yeah, hubby was there too.  It means so much to me to share my music, it was awesome!

Post recital hubby took me to the Giant Hamburger place.  Yep, it is aptly named. Yum yum.  Defo something to eat Once in a great while!!

I'm dying for the Nyad duet stix, you-know-who says no so I'm pouting Cry

Sakina
Salon Board Moderator
IP Logged

Sakina
Stardust

August 2O1O @ the Louvre

Arizona
Reply #56 - Apr 1st, 2005 at 12:32pm

Ahhhhhhh, its Friday  Smiley  Wink  Grin !
This is the start of my weekend.  I feel so wonderful from last night that I woke up early.  The significance??????
I am NOT a morning person.

I am saddend by bikerbraid's departure, but greatful for all she has taught me.  I'm sure my hair will be long and healthy from knowing her.  Bon voyage!

Last night's hair was a dream.  It was a bit of a struggle to get the french comb in but I discovered something.

To do the two styles required for the different characters I took the top half of my hair, lifted it up and made a pony just below the crown.  I took a pony holder and stuck a bobby pin on it.  After wrapping the pony with the holder I took the pin and pushed the hair forward to give some poof and pinned it toward the forhead.  This held BEAUTIFULLY, and was period correct ( Grin), then I made a little bun from the pony.  I took the remaining hair, twisted it gently and (here's the discovery) turned the ends to the side where I inserted the french comb.  This way it held all of the ends, was a bit decorative and held tight.  Awesome!  Then I used the Pearl Glitz glitterstix and WOW!  I was so happy with the result and since I had to go to the recital in that first costume and it was windy my hair was not mussed this is quite a find for me.
In order to change into my next character, all I did was remove the hair sticks and the comb, finger comb out the bottom and I was done 8)
I'm surprised at how elated I feel, its so good to perform again.  This is just my 3 performance since December, but it was about 10 years ago (or is it 11?) that I had stopped singing.  I'm so fortunate to have found my current voice teacher.  Hallelujah.  (I actually had to look up the spelling on that-it's been so long since I sang it I couldn't remember how to spell it!! Ha ha)
Teaching yoga may be my passion, singing is my bliss.

Sakina
Salon Board Moderator
IP Logged

Sakina
Stardust

August 2O1O @ the Louvre

Arizona
Reply #57 - Apr 1st, 2005 at 1:50pm

Happy April Fool's Day!!

How could I forget ???

Newest addition to the collection:

Lilac Chintz GlimmerStix

The art glass beads are so feminine and delicate.  I love this pair.  I love all my pairs, how can you love one any less than another??  Ah, beauty.

Sakina
Salon Board Moderator
IP Logged

Sakina
Stardust

August 2O1O @ the Louvre

Arizona
Reply #58 - Apr 3rd, 2005 at 11:11pm

Well, rats.  Styg got the rapunzel sticks I was luhusting after.

Went to Elaine's funeral yesterday.  I reconnected with some of my old students there, a surprise under sad circumstances.
I never can sing when I'm crying.  I'm glad I went.

Last night I dry oiled with jojoba and today I washed CWC.  I left my hair up in the aquis towel for awhile and my hair was quite towel dry when I put my gel in it.  I'm pleased with the result.  One of my students asked me today if I had gotten a perm.

Nope, that's natural curl Shocked

Today is first day of a 2 week cleanse I'm trying.  Have a headache, don't know if its allergies or detox.

Sakina
Salon Board Moderator
IP Logged

greek_lady
Diamond

Carpe Diem Noctemque

Greece
Reply #59 - Apr 4th, 2005 at 4:36am

Lilac Chintz  Cheesy
*sigh* loooovely one
Did you get Nyad after all?
I got the cardinal fantasy, I'm crazy about Cardinals (among many other beads)  Grin
Congrats on the performance Sakina! Cheesy

---<--@&&&&...&&&&
WWW greek_lady  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 35
Send Topic Print