Susan's Closet
LongLocks Collectors Club
Index of Hair Care Articles
Testimonials
Free Newsletter

L'Etoile Perdue by William Bouguereau

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sleeping with long hair?! (Read 9202 times)
kiki
Amethyst

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Sleeping with long hair?!
Sep 16th, 2004 at 6:51pm

Hi!

I have long very straight brown hair (reaches to the middle of my back); although I've had it long for a while, now I still haven't found a comfortable way to sleep at night BECAUSE of my long hair. I tie it up on top of my head (in a bunt) at night since I don't want it to get tangled and dirty but it's SOOOOOOO heavy for my head and neck and really uncomfortable.

Does anyone out there have a trick for me? Any advice would help! I've also tried to let it loose at night but my boyfriend just kind of slept on it and that was hurtfull too... Ps: I sleep on my back and on both sides at night.

Thanks a lot to anyone who answers me:)

IP Logged

bikerbraid
Shooting Star

Life is short, Break the
rules

Bike Paths of the Midwest
Re: Sleeping with long hair?!
Reply #1 - Sep 17th, 2004 at 10:38am

I've moved your question here so that others can respond.  I'd also suggest you check out another thread where this was discussed.  You can see that thread here.

bikerbraid
Global Salon Moderator
LongLocks HairSticks Boutique
http://www.longlocks.com
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.&&Life may not
WWW Bikerbraid  
IP Logged

joanne
Amethyst

Augusta, GA
Reply #2 - Oct 28th, 2004 at 7:57pm

Hello,
I have a question to go along with this. I usually sleep with my hair up in a scrunchie but I end up with a crease through my hair that I don't find attractive. Is it safe to sleep with my hair down so that my hair is as straight as possible?
Also, I was wondering if it was bad for me to sleep with wet hair?
Thank you for your time and thoughts

IP Logged

novusfemina
Emerald

La nuit a des douceurs
de femme

Reply #3 - Oct 28th, 2004 at 8:04pm

Hey Joanne,

I don't know if it's a bad idea or not to sleep with wet hair, but I do know hair is weakess when it is wet, so I'm guessing that might not be the best idea.  I've gotten to a point that I just wash my hair earlier on in the evening, comb it out (with a leave-in conditioner) and let it air dry until damp.  I usually braid or twist mine (I like to have waves or curls) and that keeps it out of my face.  You could try a satin sleeping cap (not exactly romantic, but you wouldn't have to put your hair in a scrunchie or other tie-back).  If all else fails, at least invest in a satin pillowcase.. your hair won't get caught and your face will thank you!

Hope this helps.
Red

IP Logged

joanne
Amethyst

Augusta, GA
Reply #4 - Oct 28th, 2004 at 8:11pm

Thanks Novusfemina,
I think I will start washing my hair earlier on so that it is dry by the time I sleep. I used to sleep with wet hair without thinking about it and then I realized I migt be damaging it  Shocked.
My husband does that enough for me  Wink.

IP Logged

Autumn
Emerald

I love Long Hair!

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #5 - Oct 28th, 2004 at 9:23pm

I usually wash my hair about 7:00 in the evening. I let it air dry then before I go to bed I dampen the ends slightly with a spray bottle and braid it. I like a little kink Grin that I get from braiding. If I don't braid it it will be straight as a string. Undecided

IP Logged

bikerbraid
Shooting Star

Life is short, Break the
rules

Bike Paths of the Midwest
Reply #6 - Oct 28th, 2004 at 11:51pm

I try to avoid going to bed with wet/damp hair.  I does mean I have to wash it early in the evening or in the morning.

I usually braid or make rope braids with my hair for sleeping, then put a sock over them to protect them.  I also have a satin pillowcase on my pillow to help minimize damage.

bikerbraid
Global Salon Moderator
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.&&Life may not
WWW Bikerbraid  
IP Logged

stacyp
Amethyst

LongLocks Rocks!

Reply #7 - Apr 26th, 2007 at 6:03am

sorry to dig up an old thread here, but how exactly do you get the sock on your hair?  i'm doing an oil leave-in tonight, so i found the smoothest sock i could find (hubbies size 13 feet nylon dress socks) and i still felt like i was snagging and frizzing up my braid as i tried to put my hair in it.  i bunched it all up first, like you do when you're trying to get socks on a little kid, and then tried to almost unroll up my braid.  it just felt like there has to be some technique to doing this without ratting up the braid.

IP Logged

Curlgirl64
Stardust

Practice Yoga,give and
receive Reiki

Brooklyn,N.Y.
Reply #8 - Apr 26th, 2007 at 6:41am

I invented and make the Satin Lox for LockLocks.  It is made out of silk so it slides over your ponytail without knotting,tangling or damaging your hair.  Sleeping on a satin pillowcase also is a help.  Worse case senario is to put your hair up in a bun high up on your head to sleep.

Curlgirl64
Head Board Moderator
WWW Curlgirl64  
IP Logged

Debr
Diamond

LongLocks Rocks!

Reply #9 - Apr 26th, 2007 at 1:34pm

Hi Joanne, I know I cant go to bed with a wet head.  Doing that gives me a sinus headache  Sad.  I have to wash my hair in the mornings and then let it dry for about 5 hours.  After approximately 3 hours of drying, I can put it into a bun for about 20 minutes to take out the frizzy look.  I sleep with my hair loose.  I havent tried bunning up or braiding it.  Just too much hair.  I am going shopping soon for a satin or silk pillowcase tho.

Debr

IP Logged

Angel Spun
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Apr 26th, 2007 at 3:31pm

I also sleep with my hair loose. My sheets, pillowcases and comforter are all satin, thank GOD.

After a year and a half of tossing and turning on flannel sheets (not my idea, I promise!), and having to deal with the aftermath in the morning,  Shocked  I found that my hair was severely damaged. Now I have to spend the next several years waiting for the damaged hair to grow out.  Sad

In addition to my satin bedding, I also have a satin sleep cap that I wear when I do heavy EVOO treatments overnight.

Like a few other ladies here, I also cannot sleep with wet hair. Not just for the damage factor, but it could also make me sick.  Sad

IP Logged

Debr
Diamond

LongLocks Rocks!

Reply #11 - Apr 26th, 2007 at 4:59pm

Hi AngelSpun,  I am wondering since I sleep with cotton everything, could part of my hair damage be due to that  Huh  Is sleeping on cotton bad?  Hhhmmmm-----maybe thats why I am having some problems with my hair.   Never thought cotton sheets could be a problem.  I am switching to a silk or satin pillowcase soon.  Hope that will help me some.

Thanks   
Debr

IP Logged

Angel Spun
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Apr 26th, 2007 at 5:37pm

It's a definite possibility, Debr.

Hair can get caught on cotton, jersey, flannel, etc. The idea is to have a surface smooth enough that the hair can slide around on it and not get "stuck." If you toss and turn, especially, anything but silk or satin pillowcases will contribute to tangles.  Sad

IP Logged

Sakina
Stardust

August 2O1O @ the Louvre

Arizona
Reply #13 - Apr 26th, 2007 at 10:18pm

I only sleep on silk, and it has made a HUGE difference!  I buy my stuff from www.dreamsack.com. Sometimes they have good sales  Grin

Use this link to see their pillowcases:

http://www.dreamsack.com/XQ/ASP/pg.products/grp.23/1.Pillowcases/QX/tek9.htm

Sakina
Salon Board Moderator
Healthy hair is beautiful no matter what length it is.
IP Logged

Debr
Diamond

LongLocks Rocks!

Reply #14 - Apr 27th, 2007 at 1:19pm

Thanks Sakina,  The closet place for me to purchase silk or satin pillowcases is Bed n Bath and Beyond.  But I know they also have sales sometimes too.  So, I shall mosey on over to visit with them soon.

Debr

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print