Susan's Closet
LongLocks Collectors Club
Index of Hair Care Articles
Testimonials
Free Newsletter

L'Etoile Perdue by William Bouguereau

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Travelling with growing hair (Read 4619 times)
PreciousLocks
Diamond

Turning my gold to silver
one hair at a time

Travelling with growing hair
Jan 20th, 2005 at 12:10am

Has anyone got some tips on hair care while travelling -- do's or don'ts? I will be going to Uganda on a missions trip in March.  I am hoping by then I will be able to get my hair in updos with greater ease - both from longer length and from practice.  Trying to figure out which hair toys would be best without taking my entire collection (meager though it is) is a daunting task Undecided.
(My sister told me getting my hair short would be best, I replied "nope, short hair requires blow-drying and daily hair washing.  Neither is likely to be available daily."  To her credit we hadn't seen each other for several months to a year so she didn't know how much my hair had already grown out. Grin)

30.75" ~78cm/waist&&1bFii&&&&"No chance at all if you think you can pull it off by yourself.  Every chance in the world if you let God do it."  The Message Mark 10:27

IP Logged

bikerbraid
Shooting Star

Life is short, Break the
rules

Bike Paths of the Midwest
Re: Travelling with growing hair
Reply #1 - Jan 20th, 2005 at 12:48am

I moved this here, so others can respond as well.

Uganda for a mission trip!  Wow!  I'm sure it will be an experience you will never forget.

You don't mention what kind of conditions you will be living in or how long you will be there.  I've found that extreme traveling requires simplicity with the hair.  Keeping your hair braided or up in a bun all the time will be easiest.  Don't take anything you wouldn't want to lose.  Get some inexpensive wooden chop sticks that have a smooth finish and use those or plastic sticks for buns.  You may find that you will lose your sticks frequently - especially if working outdoors or with children.  (Kids LOVE to steal hair sticks!).

Fabric scrunchies and other hair friendly hair ties - lots of them! Again - you might find them "disappearing" frequently.

A large scarf might be useful also for protecting your hair and hiding the greasies. 

Try to start extending the length of time between washings - you may not have good access to water for washing your hair.  I found that just rinsing the hair will work fairly well, rather than trying to shampoo when the water is limited. 

Hope this helps a bit.

bikerbraid
Global Salon Moderator
LongLocks HairSticks Boutique
http://www.longlocks.com
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.&&Life may not
WWW Bikerbraid  
IP Logged

Sakina
Stardust

August 2O1O @ the Louvre

Arizona
Reply #2 - Jan 21st, 2005 at 1:45pm

Just a thought...
perhaps take some cornstarch with you to clean your scalp if you are concerned about water.  Maybe just as a backup.
Safe journey!

Sakina
Salon Board Moderator
Healthy hair is beautiful no matter what length it is.
IP Logged

PreciousLocks
Diamond

one hair at a time

Reply #3 - Jan 21st, 2005 at 9:15pm

Thanks for the tips!  This is an unusual trip as I won't know all the details of where & what until we get to Kampala.  It is a short trip - 9 days start to finish. 
Fortunately I have already been lengthening the time between washings, using cornstarch should also help if needed Wink

30.75" ~78cm/waist&&1bFii&&&&"No chance at all if you think you can pull it off by yourself.  Every chance in the world if you let God do it."  The Message Mark 10:27

IP Logged

PreciousLocks
Diamond

one hair at a time

Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2005 at 7:10pm

I've been taking short weekend trips the last 2 weeks and found my CO routine just didn't make the grade.  I got to the point that even a light shampooing didn't seem to clean my hair.  Tongue 
I finally went back to my previous habit and then got a second shampoo in a few days when I went for a trim.  That finally did the trick and made me feel like my hair was really clean again. Smiley
When my hair is longer (which is short for these long hair boards Wink) I don't wash my hair but 1-2 times a week anyway.  I'll have to keep experimenting to see how it goes.

BTW the Uganda trip is postponed till later this year, but I may be going to Morocco in March.   8)   Shocked
(The Morocco trip would be with "Wheels for the World" - we deliver and fit wheelchairs to those who need them around the world, part of "Joni and Friends" ministry)

IP Logged

bikerbraid
Shooting Star

Life is short, Break the
rules

Reply #5 - Jan 31st, 2005 at 10:35am

Experimenting seems to be a never ending state with long hair.  Just as you think you've found a routine that will work, something will change.  Keep trying things and adjust as necessary!

Your trips sound facinating.

bikerbraid
Global Salon Moderator
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.&&Life may not
WWW Bikerbraid  
IP Logged

CurlyBrunette
Amethyst

Connecticut
Reply #6 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 2:23am

I know I am a bit late with a reply but when I travel the most comfortable way for me to wear my hair is in 2 braids.  I call them Heidi braids.  They are especially comfortable on an airplane ride so you can rest your head back in the seat without the lump from a french braid or bun.  Have a great trip whatever your destination may be. Smiley

IP Logged

PreciousLocks
Diamond

one hair at a time

Reply #7 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 11:07pm

CurlyBrunette - thanks for the idea.  I actually did a version of the "Heidi" braids last night to sleep and they were comfortable for that so traveling would be comfortable also.  Of course I couldn't make them look as good this morning when I was trying to re-create a similar version for work Tongue

IP Logged

CurlyBrunette
Amethyst

Connecticut
Reply #8 - Mar 2nd, 2005 at 2:24am

Your welcome PreciousLocks!  I'm glad it worked out for you.  I used to feel funny going out doing errands around town wearing my hair like my DD5 does!  Now I am confident with the 2 braids and its a comfortable style especially when you are wearing a hat in the winter and you cant fit a big bun under it!

IP Logged

bikerbraid
Shooting Star

Life is short, Break the
rules

Reply #9 - Mar 2nd, 2005 at 10:07am

You mean, as an adult I'm not supposed to wear braids in public??  OH MY!!!  Once again I have broken the fashion laws.  I don't know what I would do if I couldn't wear my Heidi braids when biking, running errands, camping, gardening, or whatever!   Grin

bikerbraid
Global Salon Moderator
WWW Bikerbraid  
IP Logged

Valerie
Diamond

Colorado
Reply #10 - Mar 3rd, 2005 at 11:44am

While I was at the stylist getting my hair colored I was reading through the magazines (I usually try to avoid such things), according to what I read braids are the new hip style.  Good to know we're the trend setters.   Grin

2aMii
irisblue23  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print