« Last Modified by: on: Jul 20th, 2007 at 7:15pm »

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Scalp care (Read 11848 times)
joeydog 1992
Ex Member

Scalp care
Jul 19th, 2007 at 5:01pm

It is a funny thing how sometimes the obvious eludes us.  It was not until I was reading about it today that it registered that the scalp and the hair should be treated differently.  Heck, one is living skin and one is not.

So, I got to thinking that I don't remember reading anything about scalp care on this forum.  I mean, we exfoliate, we moisturize, etc our skin so why is the scalp different!!!

I have seen on some sites there are massage brushes for the scalp.  They remind me of the brushes we use on horses (I have no idea how to spell 'curry' brush so bare with me).  We rub in a circular motion to stimulate the skin.  I wonder how this would work on our hair though...would it damage it, pull it out, knot it...?  Anyone know?

I saw a recipe for exfoliating the scalp today, using conditioner combined with brown sugar and moisturizing using whipped cream or aloe vera.  Anyone got any scalp care tips other than the basic massage when washing hair?

JD

IP Logged

Kiraela
Diamond

Southern Louisiana
Re: Scalp care
Reply #1 - Jul 19th, 2007 at 5:31pm

I'm not sure about scalp care... I'd never thought of that. It will be interesting to see what comes up in this discussion! (btw, curry is right, i believe)

“It’s easy to love somebody before you really know them. The trick is to keep loving them once you do.” ~ Mackenzie Blaise, --> TalesOfMU.com&&

IP Logged

texian.traveler
Sapphire

LongLocks Rocks!

Reply #2 - Jul 19th, 2007 at 9:22pm

The curry was right.  However, if we were to "bare" with you, instead of "bear" with you, we would all get naked together!  

But then, do you really know if I'm not naked while typing this?   Grin  

Hmmm.  The Naked Typist.  

Maybe I'll change my handle.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wS1UoA5/]&&...

IP Logged

joeydog 1992
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 6:46pm

Ok, so far I have heard this would be an interesting topic and had a spelling error brought to my attention.  I am guessing that with the lack of response...I am not the first not to think about this aspect of hair growth.  Realistically, if the skin at the root of our hair is not cared for...how can we expect the sebum to be there to take care of our hair.

Soooo,  I challenge everyone (including myself) to research this and try things.  I am going to start trying the brown sugar exfoliant and the whipped cream this weekend.  I will do it for 2 weeks.  I will then report...and for those who don't know...I have serious problems with my scalp...psoriasis.  I will also look into 'curry' brushes for we humans and see what I can find out.  

I hope you will all take my challenge and see what you can find, try it and report on it.  I too will research things other than what I have told you so far.  Folks (as in Ladies and Gentleman) lets start 'taking care of our roots"!!!!!

JD

IP Logged

joeydog 1992
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 6:55pm

BTW Tex, you were right about 'bare' but 'curry' brushes are spelt 'currie'.  I looked it up today.

JD

IP Logged

Kiraela
Diamond

Southern Louisiana
Reply #5 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 8:19pm

not to be difficult, but... where on earth did you get THAT spelling from? Tongue
Tis typically called a 'currycomb', 'curry comb', occasionally 'curry brush', etc.  Cheesy

“It’s easy to love somebody before you really know them. The trick is to keep loving them once you do.” ~ Mackenzie Blaise, --> TalesOfMU.com&&

IP Logged

joeydog 1992
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 8:22pm

yipe, yipe.  Google...but maybe I did not look far enough.  LOL, not really yipping...but maybe I should look further...

JD

IP Logged

Sakina
Stardust

August 2O1O @ the Louvre

Arizona
Reply #7 - Jul 21st, 2007 at 12:41am

I have tried the brown sugar scalp scrub.  I have very dry skin naturally (yes, that does include my scalp) so I think I'd need to do the scrub on several consecutive days to exfoliate off all the dead skin.
I tried the whip cream-made my hair stink.  Won't be doing that one again.

The one I've found most effective, although it can be a bit too much is scritching with a horn comb.  I think I have less flakiness when I don't use too hot temp. water in the shower.

However, this is just me-I have to exfoliate my face practically everyother day to keep the dead skin off.  Kinda sucks.

I would be interested in finding out more about using a curryie whatever brush.  With my hair texture (loosley curly) I'd be concerned that my hair would knot.  It knots up just on itself.   Roll Eyes

Sakina
Salon Board Moderator
LongLocks HairSticks Boutique
http://www.longlocks.com
Healthy hair is beautiful no matter what length it is.
IP Logged

Kiraela
Diamond

Southern Louisiana
Reply #8 - Jul 21st, 2007 at 1:14am

oh, yes. knots. *shudder* today a friend gave me several (think 6) necklaces... and as I had nowhere else to put them, I simply added them to my neck...

my hair being down, and doing various weird stretches, leans, bends etc. to help her put her stuff away in the new house... that means six necklaces somehow intertwined into one giant knot of hair. Jdog, you're not the only one yipping!

IP Logged

joeydog 1992
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jul 21st, 2007 at 1:15am

Ok, K, I got currie from google.   Could be wrong...net is not always right.

Sakina, you know where I got this info from...and after I did the brown sugar exfoliant I did the whipping cream and then a recipe to to moisturize the hair instead of the scalp (from the same source).  OMG, my hair was like sheer grease.   I had to shampoo, do an  ACV and then I did the Aloe massage (I like that) and then condition.... Actually, at the end of all that..my hair has just dried and it looks GREAT. LOL, maybe all that work is worth it since I have had frizzy hair for days until now!!!  Different hair needs different things!!

Ok, so my update...the brown sugar and whipping cream did not seem to hurt me... will try again in a few days to let you know...
Sakina mentioned a stink with the whipped cream.  What I saw in the book I read was to rinse it completely after 5-10 minutes.  Sakina, is this what you did and you still got the stink?  Too soon for me to tell, only been an hour or so.  The thing that made my hair like grease was not for the scalp (was for hair) so all I can say is so far so good with the scalp stuff.  Dying for lots more input.  Will tell you if my hair stinks tomorrow afer I get out there and cut the grass when it is hot an humid!!!

JD

IP Logged

joeydog 1992
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jul 21st, 2007 at 1:18am

LMAO, K I posted about 1 sec after you and then read yours...hilarious...knots suck, don't they!!!!!!  God should forbid knots in beautiful hair...or that is my little opinion anyway.

JD

IP Logged

Kiraela
Diamond

Southern Louisiana
Reply #11 - Jul 21st, 2007 at 11:57pm

LOL

after sitting there with my comb for two hours, I agree. It's doing fine today though, not more than three or four broken hairs out of that entire mess, which is why it took so long.

IP Logged

texian.traveler
Sapphire

LongLocks Rocks!

Reply #12 - Jul 22nd, 2007 at 12:05am

Okay, you guys have persuaded me that waist length hair is not in my future.  I encountered a horrible snarl the other day, worked on it for about five minutes or so, then reached for the scissors!

(And now you know the other reason I don't post pictures.)

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wS1UoA5/]&&...

IP Logged

bugeyedmonster2
Ruby

Dallas, TX U.S.A.
Reply #13 - Jul 22nd, 2007 at 2:26am

I've not heard about whipped cream in the brown sugar scrub.  I usually do it with just water instead of conditioner.  I have an oily scalp so I'm not sure about using conditioner on my scalp.  I mix equal parts salt and brown sugar with some water.  The salt disolves and makes it a bit more liquidy.

I'd like to know more about scalp care.  I'm sure it would help the overall health of my hair.   I sometimes get pimples on my scalp.  Be nice to not get breakouts on my scalp.  When I used to use plastic combs sometimes the combs would pop the pimple when I combed.   Shocked  Ouch!

(Happy)/
BEM

WWW bemiller69 http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=746752387  
IP Logged

joeydog 1992
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jul 22nd, 2007 at 1:55pm

Sorry Bugeyed, perhaps I was not clear.  The whipped cream is used alone to moisturize, the brown sugar/condition (or in your case water) is to exfoliate.  Sorry I was not clear.

They say with skin that you should moisturize to stop pimples...the principle being that you wash out the infected pore...the thing is though, that you have to use a moisturizer suited to your skin type.  Clearly the water/brown sugar sounds best for you (with my limited experience) but maybe the whipped cream would help....might be too oily for you though.  I am not an expert...what do I know about scalp care?  If I knew it...I would not have started this thread.

I did not stink after the whipped cream by the way, despite doing the lawn on a humid day. 

I have not had a chance to look at "curry/currie" brushes yet.  I did a quick google but discounted most of them because they were made of metal.  I will look on.

JD

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print